Enclosures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosures

Having never kept t.'s before and having seen various enclosures, i was wondering if a exo terra faunarium (460x300x170mm/18"x12"x6.5") would be suitable for GBB or aphonopelma chalcodes?

Or would a slightly larger enclosure be better?
    Tarantulas kept:
    0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

I've just measured my T. blondi enclosure - its about 16" x 13" x 7" but I intend putting it into a large display tank one day. This is one of the largest tarantula in the hobby so it requires a large tank. GBB will not reach half the size of a T. blondi so that would suggest your enclosure is too large.
    I'd suggest a maximum size for a good sized GBB of 12" square but a pet pal or small faunarium would be fine. Tarantula don't take up a lot of room and don't require lots of care which is why you'll find the starter T soons get followed by lots of others
    My suggestion on GBB is to provide 3-4" coir substrate in a terrestrial enclosure, with a branch laid on the floor so that it can attach its web to it. You'll find over time the GBB develops a system of tube webbing throughout and it will often sit on top. They don't need much moisture but a water bowl is recommended and perhaps a light spraying directly onto the web once a week.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hi Mark, out of interest Wilkinsons sell a really useful tank for Tarantulas which is approx. 12" x 8" x 8" which is suitable for housing lots of smaller sized T's and they are only £5, they just need the venitlation restricting a bit on the top with clingfilm or similar or they tend to dry out too quickly.

Comment

thanks

Thanks guys,

peter: thanks for the heads up on the definatley too large enclosure lol didnt realise that it would be too big, im too used to keeping mantis etc which need more space. Ill try the smaller sizes of faunarium, i tend to buy exo terra as they are a great make.

Linda: ah nice ill have a browse in wilko's when im next in town...ill let you know when im due to pick up first T and how the enclosure gets on
        Tarantulas kept:
        0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

I have one of my sub adult GBBs in a 12x12x12 glass Exo. Its a bit of a luxury but the layout is looking good. Trouble is, it recently decided to web against the doors so its entry from above from now on.
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Working...
          X