Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charlotte (Chilean Rose) is hiding the bodies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte (Chilean Rose) is hiding the bodies!

Hi guys,

We just got this pretty princess (right out of the story might I add).
    It took about a week to get her eating after we bought her... We know she has finally settled down, because she is burrowing (ok, she has a 'dent' for a feeding bowl that she made herself, We have to put her food in there!! If we don't - she moves it there until she's ready to eat! She also has a proper burrow and two more 'holes' in the back corners of the terarium)

1. She will NOT eat anything alive (She's a juvi, which is rather odd)

2. We cannot find any remains in her 'house'!

She seems to be a rather particular little teen... but we are concerned about not finding the bodies!
    (The husband did suggest we feed it small naughty children (just a joke!) to see where she hides it... )
    We are worried about the leftovers and disease etc.. anyone got any ideas why she would behave this way... or how we can track down the remains? (We did look in her coconut shell - and she guarded it rather 'firmly' for a day after as it is also the entrance to her burrow!!!-)

Thanks
    Riana
    Last edited by Riana Sinclair; 15-01-09, 03:06 PM.
    I am but a mere mortal with dreams of grandeur!

lol! rosea's are quite individual spiders!
    a little odd she's only taking pre-killed, but at least she's eating!
    as for hiding the leftovers (bolas), it could be that they are just hard to spot against the substrate. they tend to leave a ball of mashed up leftovers, though i've heard of them devouring the entire thing completely...i am not sure about that though as i'm not sure the digestive juices are strong enough to dissolve the exoskeletons of insects or not? otherwise i'd expect them to eat them more often.
    could be wrong though!
    i guess just keep looking, but what you could also do is introduce some woodlice (after a quarantine period of a couple weeks). they will devour leftovers and help prevent mite infestations (nothing to worry about, they do the same job, just are a bit unsightly) and Phorid flies, which may be quite harmful indeed, and at the best are highly annoying.
    just need to overflow the waterbowl or moisten a corner periodically, as woodlice need a little water to breathe.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hey James,

Thanks for that! I will see what I can do in terms of finding the bits.

You are right.. at least she is eating.

Unlike the RedKnee (sling)... who refuse to eat still. Dead or alive... hehehe it burrowed itself in, and ab.so.lute.ly will not come out or eat.

I am waiting to see what the Juvi Chaco is going to be like. Whomever said that these does not have personalities... must think AGAIN!
      Last edited by Riana Sinclair; 15-01-09, 04:12 PM.

Comment

yeah, you do notice differences in behaviour with individuals!

hmm looks like you've got three slow growers...not sure about the smithi as i've never kept them, but rosea's tend to go off food for ages, just to make you worry:P
        bet aureostriata's are the same...though mine have had decent appetites so far...
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

LOL - we live and learn.

I am rather excited - still need a name for my new addition. (ROLL ON TOMORROW!!)

The RedLeg was called "Emi Snickers" part scientific name & snicker bar (my addictions!)

The RedKnee is called "Octo"

And Rosea is Called "Charlotte" (after the story)

No name for the new child yet... I wait a few days to see how it behaves hehehe...

Comment

Hi Riana,

I wouldnt worry too much my G rosea does the same its only when doing the house maintenence i find little balls she actually buries them! shes a good recycler lol.

Lynn

Comment

Hey Lynn...

Aah well, at least my first impulse (don't bother her too much) is correct.

We'll have another look-see in a while.. I have a feeling she's hiding the in one (if not both) the back corners.

Never thought spiders would be SO particular.. but then again.. I am OCD, My daughter has Aspergers and my Hubby is ADHD... You'd have to be some sort of crazy to live in this house!

(We had a neurotic fish - it kept jumping out the bowl when the ligths went out - we got it a nightlamp is "Speedy" was fine... - lived for 8 years it did!)

Anyways, it is nice to have someone tell you 'Its ok, don't stress' heheheheh So very much a thanks for that!!

X X X
              R

Comment

It's not unusual, a lot of T's leave their bolas in their water dish, and you could mistake them for bits of substrate. We have at least 6 T's that only ever leave them in their water dish, so it's worth checking.

Comment

Working...
                X