Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arboreal tanks; has anyone seen these available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arboreal tanks; has anyone seen these available?

Hey all,
    I'm interested in getting my first arboreal T (probably an Avicularia species), but I've never been too sure on housing arboreals (I want something fairly cheap, but an up-turned Kritter Keeper doesn't really appeal).

I found these cages available in the States, and they look perfect:
    http://www.reptilekeeper.com/arboreal.html

Trouble is, shipping charges make it very expensive. Has anyone come across this type of thing available in the UK?

Thanks!
    Martin

I have not done so myslef, but from the instructions I've seen they don't look very hard to build. You could probably build them yourself for a lot cheaper than it would be to order and ship them.
    KJ Vezino
    Certified Arachnoholic
    My T Gallery
    Quest for Knowledge: All the T info links you need!
    "Have You Hugged Your Spiders Today?"

KJ’s Collection

Comment

for smaller arboreals, check out Ikea, they have some tall (but not as wide) cerial containers which are completely clear unlike the ones that Asda etc usually have. They are slightly more expensive than the Asda ones but still less than a fiver. I put an H.maculata into one the other day and because they are narrower I tried an experiment without puting any cork in and its very happy in it, and has in the space of a couple of weeks filled it with tubes

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Good suggestions guys.
        I don't trust my handy-work however, so I don't think building my own tank is an option. If one of my T's ever escapes, my girlfriend would...well...it wouldn't be pretty!

And I would really like something more permanent that a cereal jar, something that I could house a fully grown spider in.

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and splash some cash...

Comment

I breed things in cereal tubs Martin, have bred pokies in them many times.
          spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Or why not make your own ? It does not cost a lot for glass and sealant and you can do them as big as you want them at a fraction of what the shops are charging for the same job

Comment

would also suggest building it. if you think your hands are useless when it comes to manual labour, check out mine haha.

but on a more serious note, aslong as you do some research on the material needed, it's a doddle to complete. gives great satisfaction to see a happy lil critter in something you created

Comment

Hi Martin, why not try Custom Aquaria, I think they make tanks to order and it's bound to be a lot cheaper than shipping from the US.

Comment

Custom Aquaria is ace, easiest to buy their stuff from shows (like the BTS one in May!) though.
                  really happy with what i've got from them!

on the other hand, sweet jars from a sweet shop (duh) are great, they throw them out when empty so often willing to give them to you. perfect size for Psalmo's and Pokies...Avics are often alot smaller, so even better.
                  cereal containers are another fine choice.

people forget spiders don't need miles of room, so long as food is available and they can construct their home as to their usual dimensions or conditions, they're happy.
                  Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Working...
                  X