Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sexing young smithi

hi there everyone
    can anyone tell me if there,s someone somewhere who would be able to sex my young smithi i call it a she or her for now as i dont know if it,s male or female. i,ve heard that the moult can be sent of to try and get an answer but dont know were to go from here. maybe someone can point me in the right direction thanks. o by the way she,s only about two and half inches leg span would this be to small for her moult to be examined.

Originally posted by vincent winyard View Post
    hi there everyone
    can anyone tell me if there,s someone somewhere who would be able to sex my young smithi i call it a she or her for now as i dont know if it,s male or female. i,ve heard that the moult can be sent of to try and get an answer but dont know were to go from here. maybe someone can point me in the right direction thanks. o by the way she,s only about two and half inches leg span would this be to small for her moult to be examined.
    Hi Vincent,

What your best off doing is putting a pic up on here of the spermathecae ...if youve got a good camera to give a good clear shot!

On that note your smithi maybe too small to sex my B albopilosum is between 3- 4 inch and you can just make out from hers that she is female.

Lynn

Comment

Depends on the number of moults that the spider has had. Difficult to say without seeing it though.

You would struggle to take a clear enough picture at that size I would think Lynn

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
        Depends on the number of moults that the spider has had. Difficult to say without seeing it though.

You would struggle to take a clear enough picture at that size I would think Lynn
        Yea i wasnt sure at that size Phil it was bad enough trying to get a decent pic of mine but then i have a crappy camera lol

Comment

hi ya lynn maybe i,ll give it a shot with a photo but like phil says the spider may be to small i will try though. she,s comming up for a molt soon anyway so watch this space. thanks for getting back to me lynn.

Comment

hi phil. i,ve had my smithi for about two and half months and she,s going to have a second molt in the near future. i said to lynn i,ll wait till she,s molted then try a photo to send. phil is there anywhere i can send the molt to maybe someone can get a real close look otherwise i,ll wait till she,s older thanks for getting back to me.

Comment

hi ya lynn maybe i,ll give it a shot with a photo but like phil says the spider may be to small i will try though. she,s comming up for a molt soon anyway so watch this space. thanks for getting back to me lynn.
              Hey Vincent, no probs a mod off the Tarantula store forum suggested that i should get either a magnifying glass or microscope and have a go at sexing myself and that it would build up my knowledge which is a great idea and one im going to take up for sure when he/she gets bigger you should have a go too ....remember knowledge is power lol there is also a part on that forum that shows brachy spermathecaes which is really helpful!
              Good luck
              Lynn

Comment

Here is a page from my old site, sorry its about 10 yrs old now but still has good info to help you. I must get round to updating it one day.

Cheers
                Mark

Opps posted that as Kim - silly me
                Last edited by Kim Pennell; 18-01-09, 10:09 AM. Reason: I am an idiot

------------------------------------------------------
                Earth Tiger Tour & Tattooing
                Guided trips to Borneo and beyond
                Forget the rest travel with the best!

Comment

cheers kim. that page might be ten years old but it looks more clear than most photos i,ve seen. dont get me wrong i can make out the photos but the diagrams on your page make it look easier to find what im trying to look for.i,ve got the last molt of my smithi prehaps i'll try to have another look and see what i come up with. thanks for your help kim if i have any luck with the old molt i'll let you know thanks again kim.

Comment

cheers kim. that page might be ten years old but it looks more clear than most photos i,ve seen. dont get me wrong i can make out the photos but the diagrams on your page make it look easier to find what im trying to look for.i,ve got the last molt of my smithi prehaps i'll try to have another look and see what i come up with. thanks for your help kim if i have any luck with the old molt i'll let you know thanks again kim.

Your welcome Vince...

Regards
                    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
                    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
                    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
                    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Mark, very useful and clear information for sexing, the diagrams are probably easier to recognize than a pic, could it not go up as a sticky for other newcomers in sexing their T's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Linda Street View Post
                        Hi Mark, very useful and clear information for sexing, the diagrams are probably easier to recognize than a pic, could it not go up as a sticky for other newcomers in sexing their T's.
                        Excellent idea Linda! it would be really useful

Lynn

Comment

Working...
                        X