Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upping a level

Hi all,

Im thinking of upping a level on my collection of T's as in moving onto an asian sp.
    I dont feel as though im quite ready for a pokie ...one of two reasons been that my friend whilst doing house maintenance his jumped out and whilst trying to get the regalis back in it tagged him...he spent the next 2 weeks in bed suffering body cramps. Also my daughter likes to watch when im sorting the T's out ie feeding & maintenance its best that i dont get an aboreal sp just yet for reasons most obvious ie they can jump.
    So im guessin maybe a haplomena sp? or something of the like?

Advice appreciated

Cheers
    Lynn

Haplopelma sp. are not known for being shy and retiring either Lynn. They can be fairly feisty, unpredictable, and pretty fast moving.

Sure arboreals can jump, and a bite from a Poecilotheria sp. could be far from pleasant. Wouldn't be nice from a haplo either by all accounts. Bear in mind too that they're burrowers, so don't expect a display spider

If you really fancy an arboreal though, have you considered an Avicularia sp.? A lot less intimidating than a pokie in many ways, and also nice to look at

Another option is to get hold of a spiderling or a small juvenile. That way, you can get used to the spider as it grows up

Depends what you feel comfortable with really.

My Collection:

Comment

Not an asian but get a P.murinus, no special reason just I feel everyone should own one or seven.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
        Haplopelma sp. are not known for being shy and retiring either Lynn. They can be fairly feisty, unpredictable, and pretty fast moving.

Sure arboreals can jump, and a bite from a Poecilotheria sp. could be far from pleasant. Wouldn't be nice from a haplo either by all accounts. Bear in mind too that they're burrowers, so don't expect a display spider

If you really fancy an arboreal though, have you considered an Avicularia sp.? A lot less intimidating than a pokie in many ways, and also nice to look at

Another option is to get hold of a spiderling or a small juvenile. That way, you can get used to the spider as it grows up

Depends what you feel comfortable with really.
        Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply ive already got Avicularia sp guyana & Avicularia versicolor sling and yes they really are nice to look at espec my A guyana hes matured into a male and is constantly on the go at the moment for obvious reasons lol .

I will certainly give it alot of thought before buying a more agressive species though as there is the rest of the family to consider.

Cheers
        Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Rich.Harrington View Post
          Not an asian but get a P.murinus, no special reason just I feel everyone should own one or seven.
          Haha! could you tell me more about them Rich... they are african are'nt they?

Cheers
          Lynn

Comment

Hi Lynn,
            In my experiences Haplopelma species are far more aggressive than Pokies. The most aggressive 'T' i've ever seen was a Haplopelma lividum. I was going to buy it from a pet shop and when they tried to box it up it went skits.It jumped out onto the counter and reared up trying to bite anything that went near it and bit anything it walked in to. It took them ages to capture the little monster. I didn't buy it in the end coz i thought my other half wood go mad if i took such a beast home. I was in trouble for not buying it when i got back tho!! lol !!
            I think the temperment of pokies differ from each individual. I've got a huge P regalis and shes rather placid. I even handle her! (not recommended)
            I'm not trying to put you off Haplopelmas,they're great 'T's and i now own a lividum (which isn't as aggressive as that one in the shop) but i don't think you should completely right off the idea of a pokie!
            Its possible that pokie that bit your friend bit because it'd had a stint of freedom.I lost a B boehmi once which had been loose over a month and when my dad come to catch it (3 houses down from mine) it went absolutely mad trying to bite aswel and shes usually placid.
            Perhaps its something to do with they got used to not being disturbed by us humans and lashed out. I don't know,do tarantulas racall if they were once captive and don't want to go back after they've escaped....???

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Rich.Harrington View Post
              Not such a good idea if you're slightly nervous about keeping them Rich

To be honest Lynn, as long as you're careful, then you shouldn't have any problems with them. If you've been keeping avics, they're just as fast as pokies, or murinus for that matter, so if you're OK with them then either shouldn't really concern you.

My Collection:

Comment

Hi!

Originally posted by Robert Martin View Post
                In my experiences Haplopelma species are far more aggressive than Pokies.
                I think, Haplopelma spec. are as gentle as a lamb if they´re kept on good terms, like high substrate, a hideout and so on.
                Same with Pokies.

In my experience, pokies flee at the smallest sign of trouble.. If they can..
                When they´re not able too flee in their hideout, they have to attack. -> Attacking is the best defense..

My first T was a B. smihi, and only some weeks later, I got my second T: A P. regalis. I never had any problems with it.

Disadvantages of Haplopelma spec. is: You never see them, if you keep them in a Haplotank..

Greetings,

Aaron
                DeArGe e.V.
                ARACHNE - The journal of the DeArGe e.V.
                My collection
                My homepage

Comment

Thanks for all the replys guys

Im gona choose between a pokie or murinus which one yet i dont know!

One last question regarding house maintenence of these two sp ...when changing water is it a case of using a pipette or just grabbing the water dish everything else im guessin a long pair of tweezers are in order lol

Cheers
                  Lynn

Comment

Hi!

I take my waterin can and fill up the dish.
                    Thats one reason why my dishes are always near the doors

Greetings,

Aaron
                    DeArGe e.V.
                    ARACHNE - The journal of the DeArGe e.V.
                    My collection
                    My homepage

Comment

The only real advantage I can see of a murinus to a pokie is humidity. If you are looking for something abit more agrresive then both spiders will and can threat just as much as each other, they are both more than capable of leaving a bullet standing, although a pokie will demonstrate more aerial acrobatics on occasions.

With a murinus you will have a spider that likes it dry, so no panic needed if you are away or forget to water it, they do also get far smaller than pokies. Of course with a pokie you will have a stunning animal when adult, although personally i think if you look close to a murinus they are equally great.

In the end it's only really a matter of size & humidity, one is small and likes it dry the other large and likes the odd misting.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Knoblich View Post
                        Hi!

I think, Haplopelma spec. are as gentle as a lamb if they´re kept on good terms, like high substrate, a hideout and so on.
                        Same with Pokies.

In my experience, pokies flee at the smallest sign of trouble.. If they can..
                        When they´re not able too flee in their hideout, they have to attack. -> Attacking is the best defense..

My first T was a B. smihi, and only some weeks later, I got my second T: A P. regalis. I never had any problems with it.

Disadvantages of Haplopelma spec. is: You never see them, if you keep them in a Haplotank..

Greetings,

Aaron
                        Yep I agree with what you have said here, especially the Haplotank.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
                          Yep I agree with what you have said here, especially the Haplotank.

Ray
                          I am spoilt for choice here ...i think im going to go for a 'pokie' though

On that note however i feel really priveliged to get a reply on one of my posts from Ray Gabriel

Thankyou everyone

Comment

yeah you made the right choice imo only problem now is which one?

Smith.spider

Comment

Originally posted by alex smith View Post
                              yeah you made the right choice imo only problem now is which one?
                              Im guessin by that ...is which pokie sp. ?

Im not sure yet i love the regalis... on the same note i love the metallica! ...bit of a price difference ...but i think i would be happy with a regalis by all accounts

Cheers
                              Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X