Gaining experiance with spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaining experiance with spiders

From starting out as a beginner to gaining more experience, when keeping spiders, if No 1 beginners spider is say Grammostola rosea or Brachypelma smithi/B. albopilosum and no 10 is say Stromatopelma calceatum (or something equally psychotic), What would be your suggestions for spider nos 2-9 to gain experience and why?

Ray

2)Aphonopelma bicoluratum, colorful,docile,longevity,hardy
    3)Brachypelma emilia,good display species,docile,hardy,colorful
    4)Avicularia Sp.metallica/A.sp guyana/A.versicolor -interesting genus,good step up to arboreal's,lack of urticating bristles,relatively calm
    5)Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens colorful,good display
    6)Poecilotheria regalis good potential cohabitation & or breeding project,solid move into arboreal,easy to keep
    7)Lampropelma valioceps, stunning,interesting and challenging.
    Poecilotheria metallica & P.smithi -need more in the hobby,endangered in the wild so get breeding.
    9)Moncentropus balfouri,colorful,challenging and 'must try' breeding project,hobby need's more breeding's.
    Last edited by alex smith; 17-01-09, 10:53 PM.

Smith.spider

Comment

Originally posted by alex smith View Post
      2)Aphonopelma bicoluratum, colorful,docile,longevity,hardy
      3)Brachypelma emilia,good display species,docile,hardy,colorful
      4)Avicularia Sp.metallica/A.sp guyana/A.versicolor -interesting genus,good step up to arboreal's,lack of urticating bristles,relatively calm
      5)Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens colorful,good display
      6)Poecilotheria regalis good potential cohabitation & or breeding project,solid move into arboreal,easy to keep
      7)Lampropelma valioceps, stunning,interesting and challenging.
      Poecilotheria metallica & P.smithi -need more in the hobby,endangered in the wild so get breeding.
      9)Moncentropus balfouri,colorful,challenging and 'must try' breeding project,hobby need's more breeding's.
      Cheers Alex this is the sort of thing I was looking for, but maybe I didn't explain myself to clearly I was hoping for lists going from the most docile to aggressive with reasons as Alex has given above. Any chance the mods could split this thread up into 2 threads? The one with My question and the reply by Alex, see if we can get more like these.

There is a reason for asking for these lists.

Ray

Comment

lol some of us like the sound of our own typing, i guess, and didn't bother answering the question helpfully! sorry Ray!

these are all IM(limited)E:
        2) Paraphysa parvula (beautiful colouring, easy care, docile, but prone to walkabouts when the tub is open)
        3) Euathlas truculentis (stunning spider, fairly easy care, not defensive, but slightly skittish)
        4) Aphonopelma seemanni (beautiful spider, easy care, slightly defensive and skittish)
        Augacephalous sp "Mozambique"/Ceratogyrus darlingi (beautiful spiders to look at, very easy care, seems to hide first, attack second, so management is not hard)
        5) Davus fasciatum (flash spider, relatively easy care [humidity could potentially be tricky for a new keeper], skittish)
        6) Phormictopus cancerides (beautiful though subtle spider, large size, care isn't hard, can be quite defensive but generally easily managed) Psalmopoeus reduncus (subtle but beautiful, fairly easy care, not the most defensive of Psalmopoeus [again, IME], though seems to live out of sight most of the time, less skittish than cambs, but still slightly cowardly)
        7) Pterinochilus murinus (beautiful spider in all colour forms, reported "aggression" is manageable with care [IME], as with most Africans would rather hide than fight, but won't back down. main caution is speed, which is perhaps a bit more than you expect to look at them!)
        Cyriopagopus schoiedtei (IMO underrated beauty, care is not particularly hard though perhaps for a beginner, VERY fast though, and i wouldn't want a bite)
        9) Psalmopoeus cambridgei (stunning spider, and a big favourite of mine, but stupidly fast and skittish! easy care however, but i was having trouble coming up with a nine!)
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
          Cheers Alex this is the sort of thing I was looking for, but maybe I didn't explain myself to clearly I was hoping for lists going from the most docile to aggressive with reasons as Alex has given above. Any chance the mods could split this thread up into 2 threads? The one with My question and the reply by Alex, see if we can get more like these.

There is a reason for asking for these lists.

Ray
          Ok Ray, I've split it as requested. For reference, the posts have been moved into a new thread here

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
          X