behaviour on chilean rose tarantula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• behaviour on chilean rose tarantula

Hey everybody! First of all an introduction, My wife and I are new to the site, where as I am Dutch from origin, my wife is born n bred british and are living in Cambridge.

We weren't gonna get a spider cos of my wife's silly little fear back then, more a misunderstanding cos one day she got in the mood to mention, ok let's get one then (she knew i had a chilean rose before) well nuff said, get yer coat on we're going to the shop,. 30 minutes later we returned home with our chilean rose (Peaches)

The store owner told us it was a girl but later inspection and some direct emailing between one of the bts members, we established she was a he. already had him 3 months but we chose not to change his name due to his peachy character.

He lives in a tank 60cm by 45 by 45 cm, however when we're at home the lid is open and he can climb out when he wants. we only watch him really, handling is just the minimum, when he's nearly out we pick him up and put him on the table, couch or floor depending on where he wants to go really.

now several things he does amuses us to death nearly (say nearly cos we're still typing lol)

one of the things is when he gets comfy on the couch with us. he sat on my wife's leg watching telly with us when my wife needed to leave for work. we tried the usual tapping of the abdomen to move him, but he wouldnt move, or well apart from lifting one back leg and push my finger away, as to say get lost im comfy here. anyone of you had this experience before with a chilean rose? he has done this on numerous occasions.

another thing he loves doing is climb up the glass as high up as he can then slide his way down the glass, at times he even jumps off. This he'll do several times everytime he's on his walkabouts.

we have got an incling about the not moving to him just being a lil stubborn critter, this because he does not like to take the easy route wherever he goes, tight places where he has to drag his body through seem to be his favorite way.

He seems very content in his tank and with us since he's never shown any form of aggression, to take the total mickey, from caresheets we taken a fact they like locusts as well as crickets. well we gave him a locust, who got called Gary after 3 days in his tank, gary lived a long and fruitfull life with his bestest playbuddy none other than our Peaches. crickets dropped in the tank along with Gary and Peaches had a very very short lifespan, however the locust was allowed to die a natural death, moulting once too!!

Peaches gave him piggy backs and walked around the tank with the locust underneath his body, never harming the locust, more having fun it seemed.

now 15 months of having our lovely Peaches, collecting over 10gb in video/picture material, we have decided to expand the furry family with an Avicularia Avicularia.

We've done alot of research and building the tank ourselves, and eventhough the Avi will stay in a smaller tank at first (humidity and heating levels are easily maintained in there. once the bigger tank is up and running properly we'll move the spider in there. If any of you could give us any hints/tips as to getting humidity and heat levels correct in a large tank, please feel free to let us know, it's always better to know more than less if you ask us

the dimensions (in millimeters) are 600 square and 950 high.

if there's any interest in pictures of the tank upon completion, i'll try to get it loaded up once i figure out how to do this plus i've allowed myself a week building.

For the experience keepers, spoken to several different exotic petstores in the neighbourhood asking them what materials i could use so not to worry, it's a well planned project

our first apology lol

yeah sorry its such a big read!!

Comment

Working...
    X