Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking of building vivs, any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking of building vivs, any thoughts?

Hi folks,

I am thinking of doing some part time self employed work in my spare time, one part of which will perhaps be doing vivs to order, I have had experience of working with acrylic in the past and would be comfortable doing that, but would there be a market for it here, or do people prefer glass? or a choice of either (myself, I prefer a tub from the supermarket, but my gf wants them in proper tanks)

what kind of features/options would people want to see, would you prefer to have set sizes available or to leave it open to make them completely custom, or both? things like would you prefer a metal lock with key, or a lock that twists to close, similar to an exo but clear instead of black

from a reptile point of view I might look in the future to doing wooden vivs for them as well, just really at the thinking stage just now, and about to set off on market research so where better to start!

Thanks for your time everyone

Cheers

Stuart

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

WE have had a similar idea apart from not selling them. Makes sense to save ourselves money where necessary

Comment

indeed Matthew, in todays climate it makes sence to save where possible

Comment

i would definately be up for buying some plastic tanks. a guy in the club i go to used to build glass ones using off cuts from his place of work, but he has changed jobs now and cant get the glass so my supply has dried out lol. let me know when you start doing this stuart
        THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

will do, cheers!

Comment

as a personal preference i prefer glass. a touch more expensive but when you clean out the tanks, you dont get lots of little scratch marks like you do with plastic. Which really annoys me! (a little bit of OCD on my part more like lmao! When everything is clean and it is spoilled by lots of lil scratches)

Speaking of glass tanks have you seen my thread of a converted 4ft aquarium? that may also be an idea. a few idea's were also thrown in debating the pro's and cons of making a scorpion glass enclosure and a tarantula glass enclosure.
            But one big tank that has several sections seemed to appeal to several people on the forums I have posted on. and pretty cheap to do if you already have the big aquarium Just a simple conversion

But if you are going to turn it into a mini business I'd offer both, glass and plastic/perspex, to suit a variety of budgets
            Last edited by Lisa Baines; 26-01-09, 09:18 PM.

Comment

thanks Lisa, yes I've been following your tank conversion with great interest, looks a really good project, couldnt reply on its thread as was watching on my mobile and its a nightmare to respond on it, but got the net on at home again now yay!

Comment

lol no problem I should be updating that thread sometime this week.

Comment

Working...
                X