Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euathlus truculentus housing

Hey all,
    I've owned one of these little guys for a while now (had him since sling, now he's probably 2 inches across).

I'm having no trouble with it, but I have noticed recently that he's spending a lot of time sitting on the wall of his tank. I started thinking perhaps it's because my set up for him isn't quite to his liking?

My main concern is that perhaps it's too humid. I'm keeping this little guy on 2 - 3 inches of potting soil / vermiculite mix, and I have been spraying his enclosure fairly regular (once / twice a week). The substrate is moist (but not boggy), and there is a fair bit of condensation on the inside.

I have tried to look for care sheets for this species, but I'm not having much luck; there seems to be a lot of confusion about what this species actually is, and as such, not much in the way of answers on the care front.

Should I perhaps be keeping his cage a little on the drier sider? Could this be why he is sat up on the wall most of the time??

And just as a side note, this really is a brilliant species of spider; really pretty colours / markings, and an perfect temperament. Everyone should own one!

Thanks!

i reckon you've had yours alot longer than mine, as they seem to be slow growers!
    from what i've heard, though, they're from Chile...and Chile isn't the most humid of places. it could be that your substrate is too moist for the spider's liking...i know i had trouble with some slings dying when i watered, until i started keeping them bone dry with a tiny drop of water on the side occasionally (every two weeks or so). i also am keeping them cold and touch wood it's working so far.
    the older one i have is kept dry as well, and though i added a bit of water in the corner last night, i almost never bother, and it seems to be doing fine.
    anyway, you can give it a go and see if you have any more luck.

i agree, a very attractive species! similar to Paraphysa parvula, but green instead of gold...and alot more skittish!
    i'd definitely recommend them too!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks for the advice James. This is kind of what I was thinking, that the environment would need to be much drier. I have just given him a nice new set up, in a new Kritter Keeper (which I think is too big for a T of this size..), and I'll see how he goes. Thanks a lot!

Comment

hope it goes well mate! all the best with this gorgeous species.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
        X