Aphonopelma ID Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphonopelma ID Needed!

I know this is near impossible, without me sending her to someone for proper ID, but it is worth a try. I am really eager to know b/c I am really wanting to breed her as soon as she molts. She has not molted in 475 days as well. First off, the location of the specimen. This T was collected in Fresno County, CA in an area slated for development. Not sure of exact elevation but it was in the vicinity of one of those sprawling mountain cities. I believe they are A. iodus but not sure.
    A quick link to what she actually looked like prior to molting then right after:

Pics of her 475 days later:
    Shes on the left

Some say it is A. eutylenum complex. But I honestly have NO idea. Any ideas?

although i have not had much dealings with the species, from specimens that i have seen, the a.eutylenum tends to be more black, where is this one is brown, so i myself would rule that one out of the equation.
    judging by the little aphonopelma knowledge i have, i would say that a.iodus would be a pretty safe bet, but like i say, my knowledge of aphonopelmas is small, maybe someone will correct me on what i have said
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by matthew spooner View Post
      although i have not had much dealings with the species, from specimens that i have seen, the a.eutylenum tends to be more black, where is this one is brown, so i myself would rule that one out of the equation.
      judging by the little aphonopelma knowledge i have, i would say that a.iodus would be a pretty safe bet, but like i say, my knowledge of aphonopelmas is small, maybe someone will correct me on what i have said
      Did you check the link? She was as black as pulchra postmolt...

Comment

have to say it doesn't look at all like the adult A iodius i've seen. also, i'd say your spider is too big! iodius is pretty small from everything i've seen and heard. will be able to confirm that in 20 years or so when mine mature

you can't use colour as ID in Aphonopelma especially though, you have to pay heed to all sorts of things like the height of the ocular mound, the length of spinnerets, whether the anal tubercles stick out much etc...just going on a few details i've been told by Colin, actually!
        an example of colour being a bad indicator is this: my A chalcodes MM went as black as yours, with red setae when it matured...however Stuart Longhorn saw it and reckoned it was proper chalcodes despite looking different to every pic i'd been able to find...which show them with dark legs and abdomen, but a strikingly golden carapace...so you never know.
        whatever she is, she's a beautiful spider, both pre and post moult!
        i have a few mystery Aphonopelmas i'm hoping to have looked at soon...but even then hard to get 100% accuracy.
        good luck finding out what she is!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

A. New River perhaps ?
          0.1.0 G.Rosea 0.1.0 B.Smithi 0.1.0 A.Seemanni 0.1.0 A.Avicularia 0.1.0 A.Versicolour 0.1.0 H.Vietnam sp 1.1.0 H.Lividium 0.2.0 P.Murinus 0.0.1 B.Vagans 0.0.1 L.Parahybana 1.0.0 S.Rubronitens 0.0.1 A.Bicoloratum 0.1.0 N.Chromatus 0.1.0 B.Klaasi 0.0.1 B.Albopilosa 0.1.0 C.Crawshayi 0.2.1 P.Scrofa 0.1.0 E.Pachypus 0.0.1 P.Regalis 0.1.0 T.Blondi 0.1.0 S.Javenisis 0.0.1 E.Campestratus 0.0.1 H.Gigas 1.0.0 I.Hirsutum 0.1.0 P.Cambridgei 0.0.1 C.Cyaneopubescens 0.1.0 H. Villosetta

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Behan View Post
            A. New River perhaps ?
            Well if it was ive been ripped hahaha!

No A 'new river' are found in the new river area of AZ
            Last edited by lynn mawdesley; 13-02-09, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Hi
              I would almost like to say it looks very much like an A. reversum when it is fresh moulted, but from what I read these too are found more south in the San Diego area like A. eutylenum , so this probably rules this out to some extent?

You could get in contact with a Mr. Brent E. Hendrixson, Ph.D. who is I understand working on this genus, so I expect he would also be very happy to hear from you, especialy as you collected it yourself in the wild. Who knows you might be able to provide some useful date for his research.
              Cheers
              Chris

Comment

Brent would indeed be the man to talk to. My suggestion would be A. reversum. As someone mentioned, color is not a good thing to go off. The main characters that are proving out to be consistent to at least SOME extent (as seen in the work of Prentice) are leg morphometrics, spination, setae, and scopulae. Chances are that almost anyone cannot ID many of these animals without prior understanding of taxonomic placement and some knowledge of the type series. Brent will indeed continue Tom Prentice's work of deciphering the phylogeny of this interesting clade. There will be many interesting changes in the future with this group, I'm sure a large number of the current species will simply be synonymized with others.
                On the contrary, these definitely are not A. iodius. I am almost positive that Brent has material from the location in which you collected these. Shoot him an email! Let us know what he says.
                Only hobbyists can eliminate the demand for wild caught animals.

Comment

Well I took many many pictures, mostly of the tarsus and metatarsus of all four legs and sent them to Brent. He is not 100% sure on the ID, which is totally understandable, but is almost certain it is in fact Aphonopelma ssp "reversum".

In everyones opinion, would it be a good idea to mate her after molting? I would most likely find a male in the same area she was collected though.

Comment

well add A reversum to the growing list of Aphonopelma i'd like to own
                    hope it is safe to mate her and that you find a male for her!
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Breeding her would be perfectly fine, provided that you can get a male from the same locality. These would be great to get into CB collections.
                      Good luck Austin! Keep us updated about your results.
                      Last edited by Zach Valois; 16-02-09, 01:09 PM.
                      Only hobbyists can eliminate the demand for wild caught animals.

Comment

Working...
                      X