Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this??

Hi everyone.
    I bought this 't' as a Brachypelma vagans but it is lacking the beige ring around the outside of the carapace which is causing me doubt. Around the carapace it has small red hairs almost like the hair on the abdomen spreads around it. I'm thinking it might be the 't' in this link http://giantspiders.com/pamphobeteus_sp2.html
    If anyone has any idea can you please let me know.
    Here's the 't'

Cheers everyone.
    Rob

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Ok i understand that it is difficult to identify from a photo but does anyone agree that this probably isn't a B vagans and might actually be something else...?

Comment

Hi

Not that I could ID it anyway, but all I see are 3 little white boxes with a red cross in each of them, so maybe others can't see the pics also which may explain the lack of the "it could be this or that based on my mates rabbit eating donkey" type of replies.

Cheers
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Sainsbury View Post
        Hi

Not that I could ID it anyway, but all I see are 3 little white boxes with a red cross in each of them, so maybe others can't see the pics also which may explain the lack of the "it could be this or that based on my mates rabbit eating donkey" type of replies.

Cheers
        Chris
        Me neither, and I can't see any pics, just crosses. The attachments in your post don't exist on the forum or have been deleted, so I can't fix it.

Try reposting the pictures

My Collection:

Comment

i can see the link, it's a Pamphobeteus sp Peru from Guy Tansley's site...i think some here may know of some characteristics of both genera to compare? might help clear it up a bit...
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

I can't see the photo's either, but as far as I'm aware there are some hybridization issues with B. vagans, so it's possible that you do have a vagans, just a hybrid sort of one.

I'm sure someone who knows more about it will explain more/correct me!

Comment

cant see the pics mate but from your description, it sounds to me liek you got yourself a brachy sabulosum, i have got some of these and they are quite similar but they have the red ring instead of beige on the carapace. hope this helps
              THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Thanks for replying people. Thats weird the pis arn't showing. They show on my computer.

Have they worked now?
                Attached Files

Comment

yea the pics are up now fella, judging by the size and shape of the abdomen i wud say this prob is a pamphobeteus, although i have never kept them so dont hold me to that lol
                  THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Sound.Cheers Matt. I didn't think it was a vagans. I may have been keeping it wrong then. I want to identify it so i know i'm caring for it properly...

Comment

whats its temprement like? i think most people see a black T with a red abdomen and assume its vagans lol

Comment

Yeah its not bad tempered.Its quite placid but dosn't want to be handled.If i disturb it it just runs,it's never showed any aggreshion. Is quite skittish tho..and a fantastic appetite!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Martin View Post
                          Yeah its not bad tempered.Its quite placid but dosn't want to be handled.If i disturb it it just runs,it's never showed any aggreshion. Is quite skittish tho..and a fantastic appetite!
                          unusual, i have always heard that pamphos are aggressive, i know they all have their own personalities but strage, oh well lol

Comment

Hi

So by the shape and size of the abdomen we now think that instead of a Brachypelma it is now a Phamphobeteus? Sorry but that is just a little daft when to take into consideration that an abdomen can change shape and size depending on how much it has eaten.

Have you got an old moult to look at? If so I think you may be able to rule out either Phamphobeteus or Brachypelma by taking a look at the spermatheca. Also looking for a few other key points like the stridulation organ etc I think you could narrow down the genus quite well. Species on the other hand could prove harder as there are more than just Brachypelma vagans in the Brachypelma genus that have red rumps.

Even the Sericopelma genus might be worth a look at in the red rump view of things.

To me at anyrate it resembles more the shape of a Brachypelma with its broad roundish carapace as oppose to the more ovalish carapaces found on Phampobeteus.
                            Personly though I would start of with looking at the spermatheca among other things before I even hazzerd a guess at it.
                            Alll the best
                            Chris

Comment

well none of us are experts chris, which i made clear in every message. like i originally said, i though it sounded like a brachy, was just trying to help robert with all possibilities

Comment

Working...
                              X