X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeding

Hi everyone
    just a quick question about feeding adult Ts
    only just got a new adult female smithi and not altogether sure about her feeding habits I.ve been feeding my adult chile rose 3 crickets a week would that suit the smithi
    thanks in advance
    PS
    wife found cricket in bed with us ooooppppps

Hi Vincent,

Yeah, I'd say that sounds fine, leave her to settle in for a few days then try her with one or two!

Comment

Originally posted by vincent winyard View Post
      PS
      wife found cricket in bed with us ooooppppps
      Ooops! At least it wasn't a T!

Comment

hi vincent, you will find many people have different views on frequency of feeding. for instance i feed mine once a month, which was recomemnded to me by andrew smith. the way it was explained to me is that in the wild Ts are lean and mean so overfeeing can be an issue. as long as the abdomen is roughly the same size or slightly larger than the carapace, the T is a healthy size. if you over feed you may find the T has trouble carrying its abdomen. hope this helps
        THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

cheers anita. i only asked because i,ve red books and looked on other web sites reguarding feeding t,s and theres so many different opinions. thanks again anita.

Comment

hi matthew i think you've got a good point there because although i feed my chilli rose three crickets a week her abdomen is a bit on the large side. prehaps i should cut her down to two or even one a week. to be honest i thought 3 crickets a week was a normal amount for an adult but unless you ask you never know. cheers again matthew.

Comment

No problem, although Matthew has a very valid point. If they're overweight they can also have problems moulting. Our G. rosea is on a bit of a diet at the mo, was looking quite rotund for a while!!

Comment

when i first started keeping Ts i was told to feed between 8 - 10 crickets a week, which i thought was normal as i was new to it all, then i found i had overweight Ts. i like to think all my Ts are perfect now, i was even awarded 3rd prize in a competition with my b.klaasi. it was judged by Paul Carpenter of the BTS and he commented on how perfectly in proportion she was.
                THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Yea i over fed my B albopilosum she is now on a strict diet lol

Comment

hi matthew. you say you feed your t's once a month but if you feed them crickets how many do you actually give them when fed.

Comment

i have 19 Ts. for these i buy 2 punnets of crickets and 1 punnet of locusts a month. i feed until they all gone then i wont buy any more until a month later. from what andrew smith told me, he feeds his Ts 1 locust and 1 grass hopper a month, but i personally dont like to feed that little amount to them

Comment

Ok thanks for that Mathew,
                        I'm going to feed my chile Rose once a week to see how she gets on

Comment

Working...
                        X