My B.smithi moulted.. what next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My B.smithi moulted.. what next?

My B.smithi sling moulted last night, been waiting for it for weeks - was very nervewracking seeing his behaviour change and the black spot on his abdomen get bigger, but we're finally there.

He seems to have moulted successfully, he's moving around as before.

However, he moulted deep down in his burrow, so I can't actually retrieve the shedded skin. What should I do about this? I'm reluctant to lift up the flower pot hide (as he's webbed a lot of it to the substrate) but I'll have to if the shed skin is going to cause problems - will it decompose or anything nasty like that?

Cheers.

dont worry about it mate, they dont have housekeepers in the wild and they do just fine lol. congrats on a succesful moult though, smithi look stunning fresh from a moult
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Matthew. I may try and see if I can angle a pair of tweezers down there to lift it out with anyway

Yeah, he's definitely moulted successfully. He has started emerging from the hide now, and he does indeed look stunning. Pics:

Before:

After:

Comment

Oooooh! He is beautiful! Congrats, you must be so chuffed!

Comment

i like when smithi's molt, they look all fuzzy and cuddly.

congrats on the successful molt

Comment

lisa there always cuddly

Comment

cuddly if you like itchy!

i think you'll find lots of keepers stop being able to be bothered with tidying up after their T's...i for one keep leaving the moults in these days, helps me remember which have moulted for one thing, and for another it doesn't harm them. and some just leave moults buried deep in burrows as well, and it's not worth my fingers or damaging their burrows to fetch them out.
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Looking good after the moult. She/he was a little chubby bum before the moult

I've had my B.smithi for just a fraction over a year now. I got her when she was the same size as yours (in the first pic) and she has now moulted 3 times. Each time she looks more and more like an adult and the colours are stunning. I reckon she has another moult coming up within the next month as she is now off her food, which seems to be the norm. Every other time she has dulled a bit, but her bright colours are still quite vibrant now.
                Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Congrats, what a cutie
                  Proud owner of 100+ Beautiful T's and other pets

Comment

Working...
                  X