Tarantula ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarantula ID?

Hi I'm from South Africa, I bought this from a guy here, it is not local and no one here has any idea what species this Tarantula is.
    Can anybody help me?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by James Ryder; 24-02-09, 06:58 AM.

Originally posted by James Ryder View Post
    Hi I'm from South Africa, I bought this from a guy here, it is not local and no one here has any idea what species this Tarantula is.
    Can anybody help me?
    James
    Hard to tell from that image, do you have one where is fully spread out and recovered from its molt.

Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

As Mark said is not the best picture but looks to me like Phormictopus cancerides?

Comment

New pic

Not great quality sorry?
        Attached Files

Comment

Look anything like this?

Phormictopus cancerides

Comment

Tarantula ID?

Spoke to one of the guys here in South Africa that knows his stuff, and he says that its diffently not a P. Cancerides due to the shape of the legs and the hair on the legs, ill try post a better pic later on.

Comment

not really sure but i would say g.pulchra. like i said im not sure though, someone will prob totally slate me for saying it due to something that means it obviously isnt lol
              THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

The P. Cancerides adult males usually have purplish iridescence on the carapace and basal segments of the legs, so I don't think it's that as the pic shows a green tinge?

Comment

But the name of the picture is haitian... the common name for cancerides is haitian brown (only just noticed the picture name lol)

Comment

Its certainly not anything I've heard of from the region but I'm pretty sure its not cancerides either. I'd say it MIGHT be Ornithoctonus?? Doesn't look like a MM either, so immature male or female. How big is the critter? Did the seller give you an idea of the part of the world it came from?
                    Last edited by Nicola Dolby; 25-02-09, 12:08 PM.
                    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Scrap the previous post, look at the carapace and compare with Ephebopus/Aphonopelma on the gallery here!
                      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Tarantula ID?

It was sold as a hatian blue, it was blueish as a Sling but doesn't resemble a P. Cancerides, it diffently not local because of its size and it is has been sexed as a female, she is pushing 20cm + and is going into premoult now, oh is diffently new world T. Her behaviour is that of a L. paraybana and is very aggressive and chills out in the open with no real hide. She has grown at a alarming rate, from 4in to over 8in in less than a year. Ill post pics of its shed skin tonight and better pics of it spread out.
                        Last edited by James Ryder; 25-02-09, 12:39 PM.

Comment

be interesting to see what it is, but doesn't seem right for Phormictopus!
                          it looks fairly "new world" just from those pics, though...

i've just done a google search for "Haitian blue" tarantula and found a reference to P atrichromatus, however! it's called "Haitian blue giant" by the site i found. but common names being what they are, it's hard to say.
                          what other species are from Haiti?
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

It was blue as a sling, its like a para but aggressive, grown quickly and its big... Sounds like cancerides to me LOL

Comment

ooh i misread that! yeah a blue sling does lend some extra credence to the Phormictopus theory
                              it just doesn't look quite like the ones i've seen in the pic, but pic IDs are never good!
                              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Working...
                              X