acanthoscurria geniculata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acanthoscurria geniculata

I have a sub adult female Ac, Gen (about 1 moult from adult) and have had her for about 18 months, when purchased she was unsteady on her feet but I could see that she was due a moult, about 1 month later she had her moult but continued to be unsteady on her feet. She eats fine but after yet another moult 2 weeks ago she continues to be constantly off balance when moving. Any ideas please.
    Regards
    Tony

hey Tony, i've got a G aureostriata that was unsteady on her feet when i got her, a moult later, she's still unsteady...however, she eats like a horse, and also mated fine. i have a feeling she'll eventually moult out the last of the problem, and be fine. if it's the same with your spider, i'd just keep feeding and watering her, and i'm sure she'll eventually be ok. i have no scientific basis for saying that, however just optimism! spiders are good survivors, and the moulting process sorts out alot of problems, though some take a few moults to completely heal, such as missing legs.
    in my spider, it's like some of the legs or joints of the legs are weak. if yours looks like that, it may be a similar thing.
    however, if it's something like dehydration, you may need to give your spider some emergency forced drinking. it is worth trying, though you may only need to water the enclosure a bit more than usual (depending on how you're keeping her). she may not drink unless she feels calm, so that might be the best option, and just keep an eye on her.

i will say though, if she's hanging on this well for 18 months, with a moult in between, it's not a bad sign she'll be ok given time and care. just keep an eye on her i guess!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

acanthoscurria geniculata

Thanks James,Humidity is fine and she has started eating again today after her second shed while with me, I have a mature male (2/3/09) so all being well I will try them together and see how it go's in a couple of months. It's like she is drunk at times ! I seem to recall a number of years ago reading about a problem of a similar nature that was connected to inter breeding !

Comment

hmm...i wonder if she's got a minor form of that strange disorder being called "dyskinetic syndrome" for lack of a better term?
        if so, i've still heard in some cases of improvement over time! hope it isn't the case, but if she's survived two moults with you and is eating...well it's not a bad sign!
        good luck with her mate, they are gorgeous spiders.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

could just be a genetic defect due to inbreeding etc, check with the person you purchased her from to find out if she has always been like it
          THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

while that is possible, it would be rather hard to prove, i think.
            however, if it COULD be proven, it would be the first solid proof of which i am aware that inbreeding in invertebrates matters.
            due to the vehemence against the idea of inbreeding being a problem in inverts, i'd be less than optimistic that it'd be traceable to inbreeding, otherwise surely this would have been noticed in other cases too...
            and i don't think this debate will be solved quite THIS easily. i think it'll take a fair deal of DNA testing.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

fair comment james, its just that i have noticed a few different species having abnormalities with walking technique from birth, particularly in cases where the breeder has used the same bllodline for breeding, i agree that this would be very difficult to prove, it just seems very frequent with known inbred tarantulas
              THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Originally posted by matthew spooner View Post
                fair comment james, its just that i have noticed a few different species having abnormalities with walking technique from birth, particularly in cases where the breeder has used the same bllodline for breeding, i agree that this would be very difficult to prove, it just seems very frequent with known inbred tarantulas
                "Very frequent with known inbred tarantulas" - That's a pretty bold statement Matthew. What brings you to that conclusion?

I've just become aware (today actually!) of a very recent study on invertebrate inbreeding, which could prove relevant to the debate

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
                  "Very frequent with known inbred tarantulas" - That's a pretty bold statement Matthew. What brings you to that conclusion?

I've just become aware (today actually!) of a very recent study on invertebrate inbreeding, which could prove relevant to the debate
                  sorry phil, what i should have added to that statement was that it was in my opinion and experience. all tarantulas i have found with walking related abnormalities i have found that they are inbred

Comment

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification

My Collection:

Comment

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification
                      no problem

Comment

Might you be able to link to it? I'm quite interested by this. The last study I read on this sort of topic was from 1996 so I feel a little out of date...

Comment

Working...
                        X