Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to maintain humidity!

Hi there guys,

I need some suggestions please. I have just set up a tank for my Srilankan Ornimental, a tallish tank, cork wall, bamboo tubes ect, about 4 inches of vermiculite/substrate mix, water bowl. The tank is pretty much sealed, I have air holes. I am still struggling to get the humidity up, at the top end it is only in the 50%. My heat mat is on the back wall.
    Any suggestions on how to up the humidity, I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

To maintain humidity you need a heat and water source and it should be in an an enclosed area where there's not too much ventilation. The larger the enclosure the harder it is to maintain humidity. However, your pokie (which species plz?) doesnt need it to be too humid, especially not if its captive bred.
    I'd question your humidity reading first - how are you obtaining this? if its from a dial then its less accurate than you putting your nose in.

Place a heatmat on the side of the enclosure (if you feel temperatures aren't comfortable) and place a wide plant saucer or jar lid nearby. Keep that topped with water and you should raise your humidity.
    I know of many keepers that don't worry about keeping pokies in humid environments but rather provide a water bowl in a room temperature enclosure. Unless you decide to breed this should suit you fine.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

i would go with peter on this one fella. from what i hear, a water dish gives you about 30% humidity alone and them hygrometer dials you can buy in pet shops are rubbish, never trust them
      THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Personally I don't bother with trying to maintain humidity that much. If I think a spider needs more humidity, then I wet some of its substrate, or pour some water down the side of its enclosure. If I want to dry it out, then I do so. It's almost impossible to reliably maintain published humidity levels in captivity anyway.

I agree entirely that those humidity disc things are rubbish.

My Collection:

Comment

Put in a wider, shallower water dish if possible. This will promote evaporation, though you will have to refill more often.

Comment

I use broad plant pot bases with several layers of capillary matting in, full of water. Matting evaporates the water nicely and if you get any debris in the water it's easy to remove the top layer and clean off. It's also green and doesn't stand out too much.
            To increase the evaporation you can make a wire loop up out of the container and drape more capillarry matting over it, bit like one of those workmens huts, and the water will wick up it, surface area increased, higher humidity.....Seems to work OK

AndyZoo
            Collection:-
            Theraphosa blondi 1.0.0
            Poecilotheria ornata 0.0.1
            Avicularia versicolour 0.0.1
            Citharischius crawshayi 0.0.3
            Brachypelma schroederi 0.0.1
            Brachypelma smithi 0.0.2
            Nhandu chromatus 0.0.3
            Grammastola pulchripes 0.0.1
            Grammastola spatulata 0.1.0

Comment