Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners Help with Chaco Golden Knee

Hi All

My name is Paul and both myself and my partner will soon be buying a tarantula.

We have now been looking into buying and have been researching tarantulas for a couple of months and have read through many books to make sure we will be able to look after it as best we can. We already have Terrapins, Rats, Tropical fish and a baby Tortoise.

The tarantula we are interested in is the Chaco Golden Knee but I would like to ask a few questions.

I am aware that they are part of the same family as Chilean Rose but as many of you must know already, you can come across the psycho Rosie. The Chaco Golden Knee seems to be the most docile and very rarely if at all flicks hairs. I would like to know why you will not find this spider in many books as a good choice for a beginner. Is this because this is a newly desired spider or perhaps a little large when full grown than a Rose. Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have a few other questions.

How young would be a good start to buy. I mean I would like to buy one that is perhaps no bigger than a coke can lid and do not know how old the spider would need to be to be this size.

Also if you own a Golden knee. How long have you had yours and has it bitten you at all. Im not really to worried about that kind of thing now but would still like the info.

Lastly, how many times a week could you get this spider out. Or is this unfair and would be better if we only got it out once a month. If you do get it out then how long for. (one hour, 30mins etc…)

Again your advice would be very appreciated and thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and answer for me.

Please attach your pics if you have a golden knee at all ages as we would love to see.
    Last edited by paulmaggsy; 25-03-09, 09:43 AM. Reason: Change title

Hiya, welcome to the hobby!

I think you've made a good choice with that spider, I think they are gorgeous to look at. I'm not sure why they are not often mentioned as a beginner spider, it could be due to the size they get, and I'm not sure how new they are to the hobby, but I'm sure someone will shed some light. Plus, although they are meant to be docile, like with any other spider, it can depend on the individual, some 'docile' ones can be skittish and defensive, while non-docile ones can be like kittens!

For a spider of that size, I would have thought it would be a good couple of years old, Grammostola in general are very slow growing, but I don't think anyone will sell one saying how old it is, just the size. I doubt it will have any adult colouration on it at that size too, so a bigger one might be a bit better, but of course a lot of people enjoy watching them grow and change with each moult, even if that does that a long time!

The BTS has a no-handling policy, handling has no benefit to the spider, falling from more than a few inches could sometimes be fatal for the spider, and of course, if you aren't prepared to be bitten, then if you are you could end up flinging the spider across the room as a natural reaction, which is not what you want! However, there are people in the hobby that do handle their spiders, so it is you choice as to whether you want to or not.

Anyways, I don't have one of these spiders, but would definately love to have one, and good luck with your new pet!

Comment

Emily's bang on the money, there, they are generally considered docile, but you will get the odd grumpy one.
      the good thing about slow growers is even with a male, you'll have years to get to know the spider, if you get a young one.
      it's always a challenge working out age, and to be honest you probably wouldn't be able to unless you bought a captive bred specimen, as the breeder will know.
      the added benefits of this species (and many other Grammies, to my knowledge) is that they are easy to care for, if a bit stressful at times. be prepared for long fasts, and strange behaviour.
      also, you should be aware that if you're unlucky enough to be sensitive to the urticating hairs (as i am, especially to this genus!), you don't have to have them kicked at you to react. they drop their hairs everywhere!

as Emily said, handling is not encouraged by the BTS, and for VERY good reasons. however, as she also said, it's your choice, but be aware only you benefit from this, the spider will be at best unsettled and stressed, and at worst could be dropped. you might also get bitten, but at the risk of sounding uncompassionate...it'd be your fault and never the spider's!
      i'm sure you know that, but it's worth reiterating again and again!

another quick warning, is unlike the species that have unfair reputations for "aggression", Grammastola (and many other semi docile species) i find start to climb the sides to get out as soon as the lid is off. This means you have to keep an eye on her, or she'll be off! the more defensive species tend to huddle down or dart down their burrow, which consequently makes maintenance ALOT easier... and since we really should avoid handling them whenever possible, that's for the best!

welcome to the hobby and hope you enjoy your spider!

oh one more thing, there are two kinds...i *think* Peruvian and Argentinian.
      Argentinian is a bit starker in contrast between its body colour and the "golden knees", whereas Peruvian (if i've got that right) has broader and less distinct banding on its knees and legs. However, i have an AF Peruvian, and i can tell you she's no less gorgeous for not being as starkly contrasted! she is covered in pink hairs that make her seem to glow.
      my two Argentinian males are still quite young, but they are also stunning, but in a different way.
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

hi paul and welcome to the forum, heres a pic i took a few months ago of my juvenile female shortly after she moulted

Comment

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

Comment

Hey Paul, welcome!

I have a sub-adult Chako, and it is the fastest spider we have, along with our Giant White Knee! However, if you live it alone, don't annoy it and don't try to handle it is quite happy with you doing the regulation water changes. (How would you feel about being poked in the bum?! :P) As said above, it would only be you who benefits from handling the spider. It isn't like a snake, where if you don't handle it enough it will get snappy, a tarantula is either docile or it isn't, I don't really think you can tame one.

They are a stunning species to look at though, and I would definitely recommend it!
            Follow the progress of my spiderlings: The Spiderling Project
            Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Is this Grammostola aureostriata?

If so, I have about six, and they are all quite docile, eat well and never hide away. Just about a perfect starter tarantula...

Comment

Looks more like G pulchripes to me

Ray

Comment

Thanks guys

thank for all your pics and help. ive bought the tank now so im super excited.

Thanks again. Leaving this thread now but created new one.

Comment

Chaco

Hello Paul, Please do not expect too much from your first spider as they really do all differ so very much, I have lovley Chaco lady and she is perfect in every way BUT! she just loves to hide away she sometimes goes into her hideaway and sticks her front legs out for us to catch a glimps of her and othertimes manages to bury herself under the artificial plants in one corner of her viv. as far as handling the choice is yours but i have not seen any spider yet that really likes being handled ie- they always want to be away fom the hand that holds them never really wishing to interact with our human species at all, But goodd luck and even though I do not handle any of my ladies I still love having them and looking after them as I am sure you will too!
                    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

"If it doesnt kill you, it only makes you stronger"

Comment

Working...
                    X