Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Avic

Hello.
    I have an Avicularia avicularia and Ive had it since it was a sling, 3 years ago. It has been doing fine until a couple of months ago when it started to be lethargic and staying on the ground and when it tries to climb it slides back down, even on the bark. It has a small abdomen due to not eating properly, it used to feed no problem but lately its only had two waxworms in a couple of months, it wont eat anything else.
    Its now curled up on the ground and having problems walking.
    I had another Avic before this one and it was juvenile when I bought it. It did the same thing.
    Can anyone help me to understand whats wrong with it?

I have 7 other T's and they are all doing really well.

There is one that I have, which was sold to me as Vitalius roseus (Giant pink starburst) but there is no way its giant,lol. I bought it at the same time as my Lasiodora klugi and they were both about 1" and now 3 years later, the L klugi is huge, like my other one (about 6") and the V roseus has only doubled its size, about 2" - 2 1/2". which is making me think its not V roseus.
    I think my friend, who I bought it from, was told a fib when he bought it,lol.
    I'm gettin a new camera in a few days so I'll put a pic up to see if anyone can identify it.

Thanks. Badger.
    Lasiodora parahybana
    Grammostola rosea
    Lasiodora klugi x2
    Brachypelma albopilosum
    Hysterocrates gigas
    Vitalius roseus ?

Hi Barry,

Firstly give your Avic sp something to drink, there is a good chance it is a mature male and on his way out. Avics like a night time drop in temperature similar to what happens in teh wild, this drop also raises the humidity a bit at night so they also have a humidity shift, What did the spider have to hide in?

The problem with this common name rubbish "Giant pink starburst" is that when a pet trade species is finally worked out what it really is, it is found to have been lumbered with a stupid (American) name which means sod all in relevance to the spider. (personally I wouldn't buy books which use these common names), but unfortunately they are stuck with them Sericopelma rubronites for example the "Panama White Wooly Tarantula" (or some salivating dribell like that) which is red and black and looks nothing like a sheep.

It is very doubtful if the real V. roseus is actually in the hobby, or has ever been and from what I understand they are a dark/medium brown spider devoid of any "pink starburst" and a small to medium species ( see what i mean by the name), the L. klugi should be reaching a good size in comparison.

post pics of the Avic if he/she lives

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Gabriel; 27-03-09, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks Ray.
      Aye, I hate the common names, confusing.

I had already put my Avics water dish on the ground next to it so it can go to it if it wants and sprayed the terrarium too .
      The other spider is medium brown and small, only bout 2-3", no pattern on it at all and is always hiding. Some of my friends have had trouble identifying it too. Ive never seen a tarantula so small after 3 years.
      I'll post a pic of both that and my Avic.

Badger.
      Lasiodora parahybana
      Grammostola rosea
      Lasiodora klugi x2
      Brachypelma albopilosum
      Hysterocrates gigas
      Vitalius roseus ?

Comment

Hey Ray, I checked my Avic there and its dead. I dinna understand why as its in the exo terra tank which was heated in the day and cooler at night as the room is pretty warm through the day and the temp does drop at night, I sprayed it for humidity and it had bark against the back of the tank to hide in. when it was younger it webbed everywhere and over the past few months there has hardly been any web at all and it wasnt old, it was only 3.
        So I got a spare tank now and I dont think I'll be gettin any more Avics, though.

Thanks.
        Lasiodora parahybana
        Grammostola rosea
        Lasiodora klugi x2
        Brachypelma albopilosum
        Hysterocrates gigas
        Vitalius roseus ?

Comment

Sorry to hear that mate. As Ray says it could've been a mature male dying of old age as I think male avics will easily mature in 2-3 years. As a precaution I would give the tank a good clean out before putting anything else in though incase it was some kind of disease/infection etc.
          www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Sad news Barry, but sometimes these things just happen and you can't always pinpoint why.
            Don't give up on the Avics though, they are a fabulous family of spiders....

AndyZoo
            Collection:-
            Theraphosa blondi 1.0.0
            Poecilotheria ornata 0.0.1
            Avicularia versicolour 0.0.1
            Citharischius crawshayi 0.0.3
            Brachypelma schroederi 0.0.1
            Brachypelma smithi 0.0.2
            Nhandu chromatus 0.0.3
            Grammastola pulchripes 0.0.1
            Grammastola spatulata 0.1.0

Comment

Thanks guys. I didna ken that they were that short lived, Craig, I thought more like 5-7 but they are really nice spiders and the Avic family is a fabulous one as Andy says. I love the arboreal spiders too. I was meant to be getting an A. versicolour at the same time as the others but it was is mid shed so couldnt disturb it, might get one of those, I wont give up on them now Andy, cheers.

I was thinkin of Poecilitheria but I read about the bites and I aint too sure now, not that I get close enough anyway, I am actually feart of spiders but fascinated at the same time, thats why I keep them, theyre awsome but I wont get too near a house spider let alone a tarantula. I use a small tank and a poke stick that they cant run up and chase them into the smaller tank when Im cleaning them out.
              Lasiodora parahybana
              Grammostola rosea
              Lasiodora klugi x2
              Brachypelma albopilosum
              Hysterocrates gigas
              Vitalius roseus ?

Comment

Yeah, its a tough life being a male, lol. I think Avic females will live 10-15 years but after a male matures he generally only has somewhere between a few months to a year left to spread his seed. Once he's matured his only purpose is to breed with as many females as possible. Once the jobs done he can pass away a happy man, lol! Not a bad way to go though
                www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Awwww what a shame did you have a look at his front 2 legs to see if there was any tibial spurs?
                  Avic versi's are stunning my girl has just been mated...happy days

Lynn

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss Barry.

Avics seem much more inclined to die in captivity than any other species I have. Even the simple act of feeding seems to be an issue with many of them. Chuck in a cricket and they run away, do the same with a Pokie, Psalmo, OBT, GBB etc and they pounce on them. Avics are also prone to problems of lack of ventilation and require more humidity than many species.

Pokies get themselves a bad reputation but this is often a case of people suggesting caution rather than avoiding the purchase. I have loads of pokies, mostly slings and I'm always impressed with other peoples collections. I've never seen any show a sign of aggression, with the possible exception of my wife teasing a 6" AF P. regalis with water from a pipette. The majority of times they shy away from any disturbance and if ever they hold their ground I postpone any feeding/maintenance to another day. Dealing with slings and juves is pretty easy, although recently having 5 P. ornata running up my arm and another 3 or 4 escaping from the same tub was not quite what I had in mind, but they remind me of mischievious Avics. Its only when they become as big as your hand that they become more intimidating, but as I've suggested they're not quite as bad as they're made out, and with proper respect and caution you're well equipped to keep them. The bamboo or cork tube will come in very handy when you need to get hands on into their enclosure. Once the pokie has moved into the tub, stuff the top with some kitchen towel and you can do any maintenace quite safely.
                    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                      Lynne. I have just checked for tibial spurs, it is male. I hope your new batch of A. versicolours are a success.

Craig. That sounds like my mate Toolman in Alabama,lol, aged 50 with 11 kids that he knows about! an he still goes about like a lad my age,lol.

Peter. Thanks to you and Craig for the advice on the Avic, I dinna feel too bad now, thinkin it mightve been me that did it. Thanks for the advice on the pokies, I really do want some and I think youve changed my mind.

Im glad I asked for advice on here now. Cheers.
                      Lasiodora parahybana
                      Grammostola rosea
                      Lasiodora klugi x2
                      Brachypelma albopilosum
                      Hysterocrates gigas
                      Vitalius roseus ?

Comment

Working...
                      X