No announcement yet.

Are you the lady at the show on Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you the lady at the show on Sunday?

Hello,
    Can the lady who brought a large male Theraphosa blondi into the show on Sunday please get into touch with me. I am the lady who was in the queue near the end and asked if I could have a good look at him and held the box with him in and absolutely loved him. I would like to ask a few more details about keeping this type of tarantula.
    I hope I have this in the right section because I dont know how to go about getting in touch with someone who was at the show on Sunday.

You might want to try getting in touch with Leanne, she had a large (about 8") dark T. blondi in a cadbury/shoe box. Welsh accent with a lovely daughter with her. You can also find her on AP as Pumpkinette.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

ooops didnt answer your query.
      T. blondi come from rainforests and therefore are often kept in moist conditions with higher humidity. However I know of a number of people that successfully keep them on drier substrates. If you buy a WC adult I'd suggest a more humid enclosure.
      I keep mine on coir with lots of sphagnum moss in a RUB with some ventilation. Once a fortnight it gets a thorough big spraying but I've never suffered from moulds or mites. I've created a hill with a large flower pot as a hide.
      T. blondi are notorious hair flickers, they'll cover the substrate with it and use it as a defense, and its one of the most irritating of urticating hairs. Another form of defense is stridulating (making a noise similar to a rattlesnake) followed by a bite. Considering this species is recorded as the largest tarantula of 12" legspan with 1" fangs you don't want to receive a mechanical bite from them. However, I've only seen one go into threat pose.
      You'll need a large enclosure 2' tank, with deep substrate (at least 6") and they have rather large appetites.
      They are notoriously difficult to get a successful sac from as they're known to eat the sacs, so the cost of these is anything from £20 - £150.
      Hopefully that covers the basics. Any questions please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
        ooops didnt answer your query.
        You're slipping Lacey
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks Peter, thats great. I didn't realise they are so popular. I will not be getting one yet a while. I want to get a heated cabinet to keep all my t's in first to save on having so many heat mats on the go. I worry about the fire risk. I have all my mats on the back now thanks to Mark Pennell after I had one catch fire. Good job I was in. Thanks for the details. Just tell me please exactly how much food they have. I take it then that they are exspensive to keep?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
            You're slipping Lacey
            don't I know it!
            forgot about the tenner! again!
            forgot about getting some vagans off you (if you had any)
            forgot to remember lots tbh, surely not a sign of age, I'm still a teenager at heart

Comment

Sorry, I've only just seen this post. It was indeed me I've accepted your request on facebook too Lisa

Blondi's are a wonderful spid

Pete, you know me and Robyn so well
              Last edited by Leanne King-Smith; 21-05-09, 12:23 PM.
              Proud owner of 100+ Beautiful T's and other pets

Comment

Thankyou Leanne for answering. I cant believe you have 90 t's. Will you go on a thread I started titled ' please post me how many t's you have'. Have you got room for television? lol

Comment

Working...
                X