Securing Tank Lids - Custom Tank Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Tank Lids - Custom Tank Modification

I bought a couple of custom aquaria arboreal tanks at the show and was a bit concerned about the lids just sitting on top having seen videos and heard stories of T's lifting their lids of and going walkabouts so I came up with a way of locking the lids down. Here's how I did it with some pics so let me know what you all think about it please.

Here's the tank before hand with the lid taped down:

Then I got a length of PVC corner thingymabobs and sawed it down to the width of the tank. This is the stuff:

I covered it in insulating tape to keep in with the colour scheme:

Drilled a couple of holes, one on each side about an inch from the end and screwed in a couple of mirror clips:

If you use small screws with the thread going all the way up to the top you'll find that the mirror clips can rotate to the side with a nice tight action. Just adjust the screw to the right tension and silicone the underside of the PVC where the thread meets the PVC to lock the screw in that position. Make sure the screws a small one or it'll poke too far out the bottom:

Then just attach this device to the side of the tank with aquarium silicone so that the mirror clips sit above the lid and repeat on the other side and your done. Wait for silicone to cure and the lid ain't going anywhere. Here's the finished article with an A. versicolor moved back in:
    http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/w...Mackay/7-1.jpg

To unlock the lid just rotate the clips 90 degrees and you can lift the lid off:

If your feeling more adventurous you could replace the lid with perspex and attach a hinge to the lid and the PVC to improve it further.

So what d'yall think? I'm pretty chuffed with it considering I'm not the most DIYed up guy. Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers
    Craig
    Last edited by Craig Mackay; 19-05-09, 11:21 PM.
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Better than i could do mate, looks very secure as well

Like the use of the "thingymabobs" are they preferable to "doodahs" at all
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

surprised you didn't use whatsits!
      very nicely done, all i do is sit another tub or something with decent weight on top lol...not quite as classy!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

tank

how much did the tank cost craig? thanx

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
          Better than i could do mate, looks very secure as well

Like the use of the "thingymabobs" are they preferable to "doodahs" at all
          Originally posted by James Box View Post
          surprised you didn't use whatsits!
          very nicely done, all i do is sit another tub or something with decent weight on top lol...not quite as classy!
          Unfortunately, "doodahs" aren't very good for this purpose which is a shame as they are much cheaper. "Whatsit's" are a good alternative but a bit more expensive. Another good alternative is to use "whatchamacallits".

Seriously though, I'm well happy with how they turned out. I had a a very vague idea of how I wanted the mechanism to work but no idea how to do it. I literally walked from one side of B&Q to the other up and down every aisle. Took an age as you can imagine. I've no idea what the real purpose of the "thingymabobs" are or what they're really called. I just saw them and thought they'll do, lol! Bit of an experiment but turned out well. They're really easy to make, you should give it a go if you like them. Cheap to. For 1m of "thingymabob" it was £1.99 which'll do two tanks like these with a bit to spare and about 60p for 4 mirror clips. Handy if your running out of things to weight down with.

Originally posted by Jamie Brady View Post
          how much did the tank cost craig? thanx
          Hi Jamie, the tanks were £15 each at the BTS show from the custom aquaria. They're cracking tanks. Can't recommend them enough. Beats paying £30+ for an exo terra or flipping a critter keeper on it's side.
          Last edited by Craig Mackay; 20-05-09, 05:42 PM.

Comment

nice

Originally posted by Craig Mackay View Post
            Hi Jamie, the tanks were £15 each at the BTS show from the custom aquaria. They're cracking tanks. Can't recommend them enough. Beats paying £30+ for an exo terra or flipping a critter keeper on it's side.
            They do look great mate and thats a good price, thou for the money it would cost me to get to the show id be cheaper buying an exo lol

Comment

Yeah maybe, but if you ever go it's worth picking a few up. I find the exo terra are quite big, especially for avics. I've got a full grown A. sp. "Guyana" in one and it only uses around a third of the tank (that I know of). It's always worth considering making your own or converting fish tanks too if you feel confident enough. I thought about making my own from acrylic but it's not all that cost effective. Sticking an old fish tank on it's side and making a perspex front opening lid is probably a better and easier way I think.

Comment

yes

Yeah maybe, but if you ever go it's worth picking a few up. I find the exo terra are quite big, especially for avics. I've got a full grown A. sp. "Guyana" in one and it only uses around a third of the tank (that I know of). It's always worth considering making your own or converting fish tanks too if you feel confident enough. I thought about making my own from acrylic but it's not all that cost effective. Sticking an old fish tank on it's side and making a perspex front opening lid is probably a better and easier way I think.
                Yeh i agree, im using 12x12x18 for pokies and 12x12x12 for orange baboon. Im defo gonna go next year for sure-getting married etc this year so just couldn't make it. It sounded great thou

Comment

Congrats! I'm getting married too in July. Just noticed your in Glasgow, you should have given me a shout if you wanted to go to the show. I put up a post asking if anyone wanted a lift but there were no takers. Maybe next year. The petrol bill was big so the more the merrier, lol!

Comment

gutted

Congrats! I'm getting married too in July. Just noticed your in Glasgow, you should have given me a shout if you wanted to go to the show. I put up a post asking if anyone wanted a lift but there were no takers. Maybe next year. The petrol bill was big so the more the merrier, lol!
                    Am gutte dto hear that, I would have taken you up on that.

Comment

excellent idea, I am sure that none of my T's can get out, but I am always on the lookout for ingenious ideas, just to be on the safe side

Comment

Originally posted by Maria Clarke View Post
                        excellent idea, I am sure that none of my T's can get out, but I am always on the lookout for ingenious ideas, just to be on the safe side
                        Cheers, better safe than sorry I say, lol! I doubt my little A. versicolour could've lifted the lid but a stronger burrowing T probably could have.

Comment

Working...
                        X