Cockroaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockroaches?

Hi, I recently bought five four spot roaches and they all have wings my question is have the females got wings too cos i was hoping to breed them?

Just out of intrest what are the best feeder roaches to buy?

thanks

I think the females have stubs for wings whilst the males are capable of flying.
    Sounds like you have a batch of males then.

There's a good thread on roaches in here, worth doing a search. They each have their benefits, some can't climb glass or plastic but are slow growing, whilst others are fast growing, can climb glass and move quite swiftly.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

the ones i use are death head roaches or madagascan hissing cockroaches
      THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I like the Dubia cockroaches they cannot climb and get quite large, I also have some Turkish roaches (sorry don't have the proper name at the moment) they also cannot climb but do not grow to large so are good for younger Tarantulas

Comment

If they're Blaberus then its a single sex pot you've got - but i've seen Eublaberus distanti labelled/sold as Four Spots (the nymphs have six spots and are usually named as such)
          if they're Eublaberus then both males and females are winged, the males have pointier abdomens that extend slightly beyond the wings, the females' are wider and fatter.
          Keep on a deep substrate with some eggbox on top and feed apples and catfood - they breed quickly.
          The young are chunky and make a good meal but dig as fast as moles. i found some spiders get freaked out by them blundering about below ground - feeding them from a dish solves this.

I prefer the smaller Hissers - Elliptorhina chopardi and Aeluropoda insignis both of which breed quickly, don't get too 'scary' for the spiders and being able to climb glass are good for arboreals.

Comment

Working...
          X