Which one to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one to get?

Im after some advice if possible please. My collection is just starting to grow as im quite new to keeping more than one spider. I had a B.smithi (Mexican Red Knee) for 15yrs which has recently passed away which was a great spider, she was really docile and great to observe over the years. So ive now started again by buying 2 G.Pulchras plus a few more and the list is growing and im expanding (maximum of 6 i think ). I currently have...

2x Grammostola Pulchra - spiderlings 3cm
    2 x Euathalus sp (Red) - spiderling 1cm/Juvenile 6cm
    1x B.smithi - spiderling 1cm

im now considering purchasing another juvenile either a
    Aphonopelma sp. "Blue" Guatamalan Blue or a
    Euathlus sp. "Blue" Pichidangui Blue Beauty

im just after some advice as to which will be the more docile and better display spider and which would be the better choice out of the two. I understand it's down to personal pref.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Well, my recommend is that you shoud not buy spiders thinking about handling, no matter the docile it is. It's a bad idea for you and for the spider ^^ But, that's only an advice, i cannot say to anyone what to do heheh

If you want "docile" tarantulas, Aphonopelma seemanni blue variant (well, Aphonopelma sp. blue as you say) isn't the better choice, it's nervous... but anyway, it's an outstandig animal. Grammostola pulchra has a bit more complicated character than others in genus, but it's awesome too. The other options are good.

Greetings
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser's gate.
    All those moments will be lost in time,
    like tears in the rain...

Visit http://forotarantulas.mforos.com/ the best spanish tarantula forum

We're also in facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forota...s/177003579481

Comment

Thanks for your reply, its really appreciated my intention is not to handle it as i would only do that with a B.smithi and that would be very limited as im quite use to this species. My intention is to have a spider that it good for observation, i love and family members love to observe the spiders in there enclosure. My old Mexican Red Knee would bulldoze all the subtrate and was really amuzing to watch and would keep myself and my children amuzed for hours just watching her goabout her busienss in the enclosure.

I currently own the following

2x Grammostola Pulchra - spiderlings 3cm
      2 x Euathalus sp (Red) - spiderling 1cm/Juvenile 6cm
      1x B.smithi - spiderling 1cm

so i was looking to purchase either of the ones mentioned without the intention of handling, i was just after peoples views or comments if possible please

Aphonopelma sp. "Blue" Guatamalan Blue or a
      Euathlus sp. "Blue" Pichidangui Blue Beauty

Thanks
      Lee

Comment

I currently own the following
        Ops, sorry, I didn't read all... LOL

Anyone of the choices are good. Aphonopelma sp. blue is a great animal, quite nervous, but very impressive... What you know as Euathlus sp. blue, it's possible to be Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi in fact, and it's a great animal too, medium sized (12-14 cm in legspan, 4.7-5.5 in...), whit very atractive colors. I hadn't have any of them, so someone who cares them...

Greetings.

PD: i'm that you don't handle your pets
        I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
        Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
        I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser's gate.
        All those moments will be lost in time,
        like tears in the rain...

Visit http://forotarantulas.mforos.com/ the best spanish tarantula forum

We're also in facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forota...s/177003579481

Comment

Thanks for your help Dario, Ive just decided to go for the Aphonopelma sp. blue Really looking forward to recieving him/her now even though its already a juvenile (6-8cm)

Thanks

Lee

Comment

yikes, i was just going to agree with Dario about Aphonopelma sp "Blue"...one of the most uncooperative spiders i've personally ever dealt with, rehousing was a nightmare!!! it didn't bite, but it ran up my arm, over my shoulder and onto my back :P i had to use a mirror to tub it!
            i've had better behaved H lividum, Chilobrachys sp and H maculata!
            so, calm and docile...um no.
            however, i may have just had a psychotic spider!
            also you should know the ones Lee's got i don't think are mature yet...mine certainly wasn't, it is a sort of gold colour. evidently they get their adult colours when they mature. he does say that on the site, though.
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Ahhhhh, Thanks for the warning James From what ive read up on the Aphonopelma sp "Blue" seemed a better selection than the Euathlus sp. "Blue" Pichidangui Blue Beauty as ive heard they can be quite agressive. I have purchased it from Lee @ the Spider Shop.

UPDATE**** Ive decided just to go with it? my friend has a Cobalt blue which is the most vicious spider ive ever seen but im sure the Aphonopelma sp "Blue" will be an interesting species to keep (Fingers crossed)

Thanks
              Lee
              Last edited by Lee Quinn; 01-06-09, 02:13 PM.

Comment

i'd heard Euathlas sp "Blue" were more skittish than defensive. and that's been my experience with the one i had and Euathlas sp "Green" as well (and Euathlas truculentis it must be said, though somewhat less so), though i believe there are some calmer species in that genus.
                personally...i've had skittish Euathlas and H lividum...and my A sp "Blue" put both species to shame with its crazy habit of running and jumping everywhere lol
                so...be warned lol, it isn't vicious, it's just flipping crazy (in my experience so far)!

i must edit to say congrats on choosing Aphonopelma though, vastly underrated genus in my opinion!!! they're full of surprises both in looks and behaviour. wonderful spiders!
                Last edited by James Box; 01-06-09, 04:29 PM.
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Well, the little thing arrived this morning from the Spidershop and....... exactly as you said James, as i was transfering from the traveling container to its new enclosure, it darted up my arm and stayed perfectly still on my arm for a minute or so then i tried to catch it in the container again and it jumped on my chest and went on the run after a few minutes i managed to catch him and place him in his enclosure. It wasn't vicious at all just very quick and very skittish. My daughter found this very amusizng and stood there laughing at me for at least ten minutes afterwards . I think the Aphonopelma sp "blue" is going to be a very interesting spider to keep indeed.
                  On the plus side very very happy

Lee

Comment

lol! good to know mine isn't the only insane one!
                    thankfully not bitey or we'd both be in pain!
                    glad you like it though
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

hi i have a gautamlen blue and a blue buety. these spiders are extremley fast mate. the gautamlen u can move things bout the tank better it will stay still but if u disturb it, it will run. altho the gautamlen is the best display species if you buy a juvinile it will be a gold colour till it becomes adult. the blue buety is a lovley colour but really fast not like most spiders, if u put ur hand in front of them they run away from it. so if it gets out it will be hard to catch. so if u want docile and out in the open alot go for the gautamalen blue. but if u want colour and fast pick the blue buety. or just buy both lol. where did u get the euthulas red?

Comment

Thanks for the advice, the gautamlen blue is really interesting to watch just as youve said it darts rally quick if disturbed (you should have seen me getting it out of the delivery pot - up my arm down my chest and onto the floor, played hide and seek with it for a good 10mins), ive never seen a spider as quick as this, especially when running after crickets or away from me Fun to watch though. The euthulas red i got a juvenile from the spidershop, lovely spider very docile and spends plenty of time out in the tank walking about,
                        Last edited by Lee Quinn; 10-06-09, 08:17 PM.

Comment

LOL mine got out when I was changing her tank fs rang evrywhere underneath everything took me a bit to get her bk into her tank. Is your gautamalen a gold colour or is your adult. I would rather it stayed the fold colour what do u think?

Comment

Yeah mines currently that really nice gold colour (juvenile about 5cm leg length) ive seen pictures of them when there adults. I personally prefer the gold colour, its really unusual for a spider

Comment

I thought the spidershop had sold me the wrong spider when I opened the container LOL. Whenever I got my blue buety I nudged it out of it's container into it's new tank and started runing all over my bed. LOL. My t is bout 1 and a half inch leg span so u can have the yellow colour for a wee while yet. I would get a Mexican red rump this thing mauls everything in site. But doesn't really leave the burrow unless u put food in. My red rump puts it's legs outside the hide. I put in bout 5 crickets. She will run out catch 1 bring it bk 2 her hide come bk out again and get another 1 untill there is none left. Really fast grower and bought here 6-8 months ago she was 5cm she is now 2 and half inches roughly.

Comment

Working...
                              X