Damon Variegatus Breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damon Variegatus Breeding

We have a Male and female Damon Variegatus and we have seen the male is doing a mating dance of which the female is not running away like i would expect, but neither of them are full adults yet, are they sexually mature before they are fully grown?
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

hehehe I lolled soo much at these two this morning.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Bz5EC7wXQ"]YouTube - Daemon varigatus mating[/ame]

Comment

Hehe, Everybody love Raymond. I love that show. Pretty funky mating dance too. Is the male on the right. Looks like he was punching her, lol!
      www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

Comment

yes that was the male on the right and yes his 'punches' did make contact! Talk about being slapped about!

Comment

Does anyone know if these are available in the uk at the moment?
          See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

i think they are sporadically available from bugz uk (they've a site somewhere)...
            but honestly, based on my own purchasing and Michael Olsinia's info, i think they are actually D diadema as opposed to variegatus that they sell...however they are very similar, it's a couple more or fewer spikes on the trochanters of the pedipalps, i'd have to dig through my PMs to find for sure, or maybe Michael will just reply to this with the info and i can be lazy

fantastic creatures, i'd love to get another.

oh one word of warning, they are "communal" but i had issues with my two, one munched half the other post moult... if these have a "maturing" moult like scorpions, then might be best to wait til then to put them together, but i honestly don't know...

sorry bit off topic...
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

the key to keeping a community is LOADS of hiding spaces

Comment

Nice vid! The way to tell diadema from variegatus is to look at the ventral surface of the palpal trochanter. diadema will have 2 large spines, variegatus will have only 1. There's a good example of diadema spines here:

in section 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pajak View Post
                  Does anyone know if these are available in the uk at the moment?
                  Hi Mark

Daren one of our members has had a lot of success breeding V. diadema, mine are from him. Pics Attached.
                  He is not on this site ( i will nag him about that) but he can be found as webspinner on Arachnophiles.

chris

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	p-ara073-9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	93826[/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
                  Why not make a weekend of it.

Comment

Working...
                  X