Buying spider at Houten - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying spider at Houten - question

I'm planning to go to Houten this month and wondered if anyone can advise on the situation of bringing spiders back on the ferry as a foot passenger please. Will be travelling from Newcastle.

Thanks in Advance
    take nothing but pictures!

sigpic

Strictly speaking your menat to have a recipt of purchase for customs to prove you havent been off wild collecting or some such. Other than that unless it's a DWA species your all fine to bring them with you, I do regular trips to houten and hamm and we bring back inverts/reps and rodents with no issues.

The only thing you might need to check is that as a foot passenger you are going to be carrying a live animal in your hand luggage, but a quick call to the ferry company will inform you of that.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

why would you go to Houten if the BTS show and the Hamm show are far better for spiders?
      you only need the proof of captive bred when buying a Brachypelma sp. other then that you should be ok.

maybe i will see you there

cheers

Eddy

Comment

Originally posted by Eduard Johan Hijmensen View Post
        why would you go to Houten if the BTS show and the Hamm show are far better for spiders?
        you only need the proof of captive bred when buying a Brachypelma sp. other then that you should be ok.

maybe i will see you there

cheers

Eddy
        Hi Eddy

I'm not only going for spiders... but I have arranged to collect some there.
        Just wasn't sure of the situation with regards bring them back onto the ferry. I haven't been to Hamm for years but the BTS show this year was very good!

sigpic

Comment

European Union = free movement of goods and people throughout the union.

In other words it's your right as an EU member to do this, assuming of course your mode of transport allows you to do it.

It isn't illegal to move spiders between EU countries (except for EU protected species).

Similarly it is not illegal to bring "pet" spiders into the UK from outside the EU - according to DEFRA publications. Different laws apply if this is for commercial reasons, where taxes need to be paid first to legalise it.

Cheers,
          Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gallon View Post
            European Union = free movement of goods and people throughout the union.

In other words it's your right as an EU member to do this, assuming of course your mode of transport allows you to do it.

It isn't illegal to move spiders between EU countries (except for EU protected species).

Similarly it is not illegal to bring "pet" spiders into the UK from outside the EU - according to DEFRA publications. Different laws apply if this is for commercial reasons, where taxes need to be paid first to legalise it.

Cheers,
            Richard
            Thanks Richard

sigpic

Comment

and still you need to proof your CITES spider is cb (or have a CITES permit to go with it.)

Comment

Working...
              X