one starts, Another stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aphonoplema

Based on the experience of those here in the States whom I know have watched them in their native habitat, and listening to their advice for keeping them close to natural conditions: - I only offer my Aphonopelma food once a month when it is cool, sometimes twice a month when it is very warm. when it hits their natural winter season here, all but one of the seven or so I have kept sealed their burrows for 4-6 months. On that feeding schedule, they are far larger of abdomen than they were when we caught them in the wild.

I have changed my feeding to my "pet rock" terrestrials to a similar schedule, and I keep an eye on the more active ones (and faster growers) and arboreals, Looking to keep them well fed but not fat. Most are doing good on a bimonthly schedule, and the ones over 5 inches I am trying out largers meals, less frequently.

I tend to feed the males a bit more food at each feeding than the females, because they mature faster- the observation of one keeper whose work I read who has spent a couple of years researching this observed that feeding did not effect the speed of maturity so much as the size at maturity, and i think I want my boys to be big, so they can lift the ladies(and not resenble lunch too much), and I wonder if that effects how virile they are? Becuase I would like to contribute to the availability of more tarantulas.

I am also heeding advice I have been given to vary the diet-tricky if you've decided to raise your own- you may have to start selling feeder stock, or get more tarantulas.

If you cant buy the crickets by the "eaches" I recommend feeding everyone as much as they will eat the week you buy them until the crickets are gone, and then wait two or three weeks before you buy more- or get more tarantulas!

Comment

glad they are doing well, Nicola! they are easy really, its not fussing them i think thats the hard part for me anyways

Celeste, thanks for posting that info too
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
      X