Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexing an exuvium, is this correct?

Hi everyone

I'm trying to sex an exuvium for the first time and wondering if I'm correct. This is a Brachypelma albopilosum juv. I think female because I think I can see spermathecae. These are only mobile phone pictures and the second photo has a torch held behind the paper. I have looked at loads of images online and still think it's very hard to tell the difference between male and female.

Thats a female
    spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Hello,

There's definitely something in the second picture, so it looks like a female. Next time, focus on the area between the anterior (in this picture, top) pair of booklungs. It's not really hard after you get the hang of it. There's a nice spermathecae gallery in the sexing section on Mikhail F. Bagaturov's page, it might make it easier if you know what kind of shape you are looking for.
      Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
      "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
      "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Thank you Mary and Zoltan, that gallery is very useful

Comment

Hi Jennifer, Mikhails gallery is quite useful for ascertaining the spermatecae shape of the more commonly kept species.
          Looks to me like you have a little lady there as well
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
          X