Urticating hairs in the eye!!! any advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urticating hairs in the eye!!! any advice

Hi, it would seem like my wife has received a blast of urticating hairs to the eye from a B. klassi. This was caused merely by moving a faunarium which led the occupant to flick a cloud of hairs. Either the hairs have directly hit her in the eye or perhaps indirectly via her hands.
    Some irritation resulted last night but this morning things seemed a lot worse. By the afternoon she had to admit herself to A&E without knowing the reason behind it.
    The eye surgeon could see small particles but couldn't identify them. It was only after leaving the hospital that she's realised what might have been the cause. We've been given some medication to combat infection but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions?
    Are the hairs likely to dislodge themselves or should we return to the hospital?

Help and advice appreciated.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Hey Peter,
    I am not an ophthalmologist, just a vet, but I think while the ointment will probably soothe it, and likely not harm, what have you got to lose by just going back and passing the new information on to the doctor. Best to be safe, eh?
    Hope your wife will feel better soon

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

See my reply on AP Pete. If she still has discomfort, then get her back to the hospital. There has been at least one case where urticating hairs have worked their way into the eye and have needed removing several months later.

Better get them to check thoroughly.

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
        Hi, it would seem like my wife has received a blast of urticating hairs to the eye from a B. klassi. ... Are the hairs likely to dislodge themselves or should we return to the hospital? ...
        She should see an ophthalmologist on an emergency referral ASAP. Depending on where the bristles are lodged she may have to have some minor eye surgery to remove them. If it were me, I'd return to the emergency clinic and get that referral as soon as I read this posting.

Remember that the bristles are barbed and can only travel one way through the tissues of the eye. That's usually inward. If they get into the interior of the eye they have been reported to produce little nodules that block part of the patient's field of vision. The surgery usually means anesthetizing the eye (and sometimes the patient) and scraping off the bristles and the tissue they're lodged in.

On the other hand, if they're merely lodged in the conjunctiva (the tissue that attaches the eyeball to the inside of the eyelid), they're usually considered to be relatively benign, although they can be really, REALLY, REALLY irritating. She definitely needs expert advice and treatment here, not a brush off!

BTW, we need to know what you finally did, what the docs did, and how things finally turned out. Get back to us, okay?
        Last edited by Stanley A. Schultz; 20-06-09, 01:28 AM.
        The Tarantula Whisperer!
        Stan Schultz
        Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
        Private messaging is turned OFF!
        Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Thanks Stan and Phil for your advice, much appreciated.
          I fully intend taking her back to the hospital tomorrow although the eye clinic isnt open during the weekend!!!

Comment

Defo agreed with Stan & Phil mate, after all we only get one pair dont we.
            Good luck and i hope it eases off soon for her mate! can you not get down the hospital today? i know they will still remove foreign bodies in A&E as they did for my hubby when he got a tiny piece of metal in his eye ...numbed it all up etc

Comment

Well things seem vastly improved this morning with the irritations far less of an issue.
              My wife did see an ophthalmologist whilst at the hospital and he identified foreign matter and removed it, although neither he nor my wife were aware what this might have been (I appreciate how odd this sounds).
              He has given her a prescription of Fucithalmic to reduce infection.
              We're going to watch closely what happens, she's reluctant to go back purely because there's no issues at the moment, but we'll be back on Monday if any symptoms persist.

Comment

Hope your wife's ok Peter. If it were me I'd go back on Monday anyway just to make sure. Good luck
                sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

It's good your wife's symptoms have eased. I would go to an eye clinic on Monday just to be on the safe side though.

Comment

glad things seem better now, do get it checked and let us know...must be awful
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Good grief Peter, I do hope all goes well with your wife, I know what it is like to being affected by these irritating little devils called hairs even in a small way, goodness only knows how bad your wife must be suffering, Please give her all our good wishes and take not even the smallest chance with her eyes in anyway and keep ua posted on her progress will you? as we are really concerned. All the vey best to you both.

"If it doesnt kill you, it only makes you stronger"

Comment

Working...
                      X