Haplopelma longipes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplopelma longipes question

I've bought a few "H. longipes" from 4 different US dealers and none seem to have the chunky metatarsus scopula on leg IV. None of them are adults yet and I was wondering if juvies have the large pads too or do the pads only appear in adults only?
    -Stew
    My tarantulas
    My pedes
    My scorpions and such

Hello,

No scopula at all on metatarsus IV? Change in scopulation during growth was found in other species, but if your spiders don't have scopula at all on the area where Haplopelma longipes supposedly does, that's not very promising. Sorry for not being of much help, hopefully someone who knows for sure if the scopula on metatarsus IV is present in juvenile H. longipes specimens will chime in.
    Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
    "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
    "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltan Mihaly Lestyan View Post
      Hello,

No scopula at all on metatarsus IV? Change in scopulation during growth was found in other species, but if your spiders don't have scopula at all on the area where Haplopelma longipes supposedly does, that's not very promising. Sorry for not being of much help, hopefully someone who knows for sure if the scopula on metatarsus IV is present in juvenile H. longipes specimens will chime in.
      They do have pads on metatarsus IV - just not the large ones that longipes are known for.
      -Stew
      My tarantulas
      My pedes
      My scorpions and such

Comment

I'm pretty sure juveniles should have them, not as noticable as an adult, but they are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha Lewanewsky View Post
          I'm pretty sure juveniles should have them, not as noticable as an adult, but they are there.
          Thanks! There's hope yet then! Some of them have scopula that's close to a third of the metatarsus IV. Hoping to get a molt to measure the legs to get confirmation but so far all molts, if any, are somewhere at the bottom of their burrows.
          -Stew
          My tarantulas
          My pedes
          My scorpions and such

Comment

Working...
          X