H Lividum Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H Lividum Cleaning

Well it had been a while and i had put it off for obvious reasons but it was time to just freshen up my lovely H Lividum's ( aka ted's) cage.
    I even thought it was wise to ask help from good friend tim b knowing this could be very entertaining.
    she was an absolute angel. we pulled out her log with her in it and in to another tank, cleaned hers out. although we had to get her out the log to put her back in. pulled away the web tubing she had made, yeah ok she was on her back but the log was upside down. left her a bit and she was back over managed to gently and very very cautiously nudge her of the log and put that back in to her tank and the only sign of aggression we had was this. (see pic) after a few mins she calmed down we were able to put her in a container and she is now in a nice clean cage.
    No striking no lunging just an angel
    i am still not going to take her for granted, next time she may not be so forgiving!hehe
    Attached Files

Glad that went well for you Kelly and Ted behaved

Comment

you only wanted to see me get bit....again but she was very well behaved and we got a good look at her

Comment

Glad it was a success
        sigpic

Comment

personally i'm not big into tank cleaning...aside from removing bits of food, and even for that, woodlice are a great boon and will eat everything unpleasant in the tank.

however, this goes to show that even these so-called "aggressive" spiders can be remarkably well behaved when managed respectfully, slowly and calmly.

it is generally a lack of confidence that results in spiders freaking out, because a person who is afraid of them may make sudden, jarring movements, which would put anyone on edge, let alone a spider that doesn't understand you have its best at heart.

this being said, you can be overconfident too, clearly...but respect and calm movement seems to generally work.

well done! to me this goes to show these "evil", "nasty", "aggressive" spiders are just animals that require respect!
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I always wanted a H Lividum but my wife won't let me have one in the house because of there aggressive rep. Just shows that they are not as bad as they say if the keeper takes care like you have. Thumbs up from me.

Comment

Good work Kelly, I bet she's happy with the new home! I've never really understood the bad reputation these spiders have. I have a female I grew up from a spiderling, got her three years ago and she's as gentle as a lamb. She's having a moult at the mo, so nothing to look at but a mound of moss where her burrow entrance used to be!!! I know you should never take any spider for granted but I have found other species far more eager to bear their fangs (Brachypelma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) All the best
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

I agree with what Nicola has said . The feistiest spiders i have kept have to be the New World stuff, and the worst Old World spiders for defensiveness seems to be the Mature males.

Comment

i've had some speedy getaway attempts and a couple cute threat displays from old worlders, but as you end up treating them with more respect (or i'd hope so, because of the reputation at least), they are usually not the terrors they are made out to be.
                  Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Great post James, but there is one thing I really hate when Old Worlders, or tarantulas in general are described as aggressive. I know you've put the word in "......." 's so I guess you see my point.

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                    however, this goes to show that even these so-called "aggressive" spiders can be remarkably well behaved when managed respectfully, slowly and calmly.

to me this goes to show these "evil", "nasty", "aggressive" spiders are just animals that require respect!

Football hooligans are aggressive, armed bank robbers are aggressive, muggers are aggressive as well are some of the drunken yobs that plague our cities and towns on a Saturday night. H. lividium are highly defensive. There is a huge difference. Maybe as members of The BTS, we should adopt that expression.
                    Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

On a more comical note about tank work I had to re-build the front of my apophysis's cave tonight, sadly I disturbed him making his first sperm web:$. Talk about telling me off:@! I've never heard stridulation like it, he was like an 8 legged cobra hissing like that. Still his cave's mended now. God knows what will happen when he begins drumming, the neighbours will think its an earthquake:-S! Still, I'll give him a fuzzy tomorrow, he's better tempered on a full stomach
                      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Ferguson View Post
                        Great post James, but there is one thing I really hate when Old Worlders, or tarantulas in general are described as aggressive. I know you've put the word in "......." 's so I guess you see my point.

Football hooligans are aggressive, armed bank robbers are aggressive, muggers are aggressive as well are some of the drunken yobs that plague our cities and towns on a Saturday night. H. lividium are highly defensive. There is a huge difference. Maybe as members of The BTS, we should adopt that expression.
                        mate i more than see your point, i completely agree. that is why i said 'so-called "aggressive"'.
                        i have argued and ranted on this subject quite a few times now.
                        those "people" you mentioned (see, i did it again haha) should be culled, no mercy, instead of the poor understandably defensive spiders that routinely get squashed.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                        X