Next T suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next T suggestions?

Ok i've got a P.regalis adult, a B.smithi (2 itch) and a few Salmon pink slings.

Tank is roughly 40cm long, 25 wide, 15 tall. It's one of the biggest exa-tera do - i'm informed it could house a fairy big tarantula such as a T.bloni or something.

Soooo, i'm after a fairly big tarantula, terestrial, preferably not overly aggressive although it wouldnt fuss me hugely but one that likes to chill in the open as this tank will be on display and easily visable in my room.
    Also a fan of brightly patterened and coloured T's hence the smithi and regalis.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Aware i have a pretty big wish list, just wondering if anyonw knows a species to fit the bill
    Last edited by Michael Peachey; 26-06-09, 07:29 PM.

This is spooky i have just had an almost identical conversation on my own clubs forum.

You already have the spider to fit the bill in your Lasiodora parahybana spiderlings they will grow into large reasonably docile tarantulas and only take a few years to mature. i Would suggest waiting for them to grow up and get yourself a Chilobrachys fimbriatus( indian violet) they are highly aggressive but stunningly beautiful they refuse to use a hide and completely web the whole terranium and mine sits in the middle of her terranium all the time. My avatar is a photo of my "fimby" sat in the middle of the tank.

Chris

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
    Why not make a weekend of it.

Comment

hi michael i would say if you want something on the large side that looks the part i would suggest either the chaco gold knee or the brazilian white knee both are stuning looking t's and both grow to 8 inches aprox. out of the two the chaco is more laid back but the brazilian white knee can be a bit skitish. saying all that i think the white knee is probably a bit more forgiving than a blondi prehaps someone can back me on that one. the chaco golden knee has the same temprement as the old faithful chili rose. both are stunners i want these two my self. hope this helps michael.

Comment

You should also consider Megaphobema, Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis species.
        Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
        "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
        "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Personally I don't like Exo's for terrestrials cos they aren't deep enough up to doors, this is my opinion only. Best for arboreals I think, get a pokie or a Psalmo. Just noticed you got a pokie, put her in it, simples.
          spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Hi,
            I'd go for a Grammostola. They're slow growers,they live for years and years, they like the open, some grow very big and they are ok with a cave (usually). As for a Theraphosa, I have a MM apophysis in a tank 90 cm x 37.5 cm x 30 cm deep. This is on the smaller side. Please remember a female Theraphosa can have a legspan up to 12 inches (30 cm) or more, then you need to give the thing room to strech its legs. Some Lasiadora and Pamphobeteus species grow very big too. I'd go for the Grammostola
            If you're adventurous you could try a Pterinochilus
            Last edited by Nicola Dolby; 26-06-09, 10:23 PM.
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by chris carter View Post
              This is spooky i have just had an almost identical conversation on my own clubs forum.

You already have the spider to fit the bill in your Lasiodora parahybana spiderlings they will grow into large reasonably docile tarantulas and only take a few years to mature. i Would suggest waiting for them to grow up and get yourself a Chilobrachys fimbriatus( indian violet) they are highly aggressive but stunningly beautiful they refuse to use a hide and completely web the whole terranium and mine sits in the middle of her terranium all the time. My avatar is a photo of my "fimby" sat in the middle of the tank.

Chris
              Perhaps that's something to do with me being the same person chris lol!

The invicta site was down, so i fled to BTS to get extra advise.

Luckily my dad is pretty handy really, he can whip me up a tank easy peasy - so when the salmon's get bigger i'll be keeping at least one of them in a big old tank in pride of place and by then hopefully have the experience to consider breeding myself.

Chilobrachys fimbriatus sounds like a winner, i love the look when they've webbed they're hides up! The fact it sends time in the opener is a winner as well. - Do you know anyone that sells them? and how much they might be?
              The tank isn't massively deep, i know many webbers generally love to burrow, is that a problem for this species?

Any more suggestions welcome, thanks for the responses folks

Comment

Originally posted by mary walters View Post
                Personally I don't like Exo's for terrestrials cos they aren't deep enough up to doors, this is my opinion only. Best for arboreals I think, get a pokie or a Psalmo. Just noticed you got a pokie, put her in it, simples.
                Might see if i can extend the height before i invest, i've always thought that myself but dismissed it as not an issue. - Good job i have 'contacts' xD

Comment

Hi Mick
                  Lot to be said for real names "Salamander" just know you as mick at invicta meetings, Theresa deals with full names and addresses.
                  Alan says you want to help at some of the roadshows theres a list of show dates on my thread on the invicta forum let me know what ones you can do.

Back to proper business i got my "fimby" a few years ago from Ray gabrial he sold a lot of spiderlings at a club meeting so most of the club members own one, some may have more, ask on the forum.

I'm sure someone reading this will know where to get one also.

Chris

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20

Comment

They dont burrow, well mine doesn't she just covered every inch of substrate with web, totally covered her waterbowl and her bark hide with thick web then plastered web 12cm up the sides of the tank all round. It looks very impressive and is a good show tank. i just spray the web with water twice a week and that seems to suffice for for her drinking needs.

Comment

Sounds like my kind of tarantula to be honest, i've wanted a heavy webber a long time. You think my tank would be ok? You know the kind of tank right, it's one of the standard large tanks

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Peachey View Post
                        Sounds like my kind of tarantula to be honest, i've wanted a heavy webber a long time. You think my tank would be ok? You know the kind of tank right, it's one of the standard large tanks

Mike
                        Yep im with Chris very heavy webbers lol i only have slings at the mo and also a Chilobrachy sp 'aladdin'
                        Craig McInnes had some slings available for sale dont know whether he still has some left would be worth giving him a PM maybe?

Lynn

Comment

Probably not, i'd definately want a fully grown one to fill my tank. Although. i do have a little place i could home a sling ^^

HOw would i contact him?

Comment

if you click on the members list, then look for his name then there will be an option to send him a PM

Comment

Lee @ thespidershop has some slings I bred, I also have some here from a male loan, if you're interested give me or Lee a shout.
                              spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Working...
                              X