never seen this before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never seen this before

hi there everyone. i dont quite know how to explain this but last night i done the final checks on the gang before going to bed and found my female chili rosa rubbing her legs together. it was as if she was giving herself a good overal rub down even her fangs were not missed. i spent about ten minuts watching her and she did stop from time to time for what seemed a break between these rubbing sessions. as i said all legs and fangs were busy i just haven't seen this before and wondered if anyone could shed some light on this for me. i,ve had her for 8 months now and she,s a big girl also she hasn't eaten for a couple of months im telling you this info as it might make more sence to figure out whats going on. i've seen her this morning and she seems fine as normal but i would like to know what all that was about last night thanks everyone .

You've just witnessed your tarantula grooming itself. They do it regularly, usually after a meal.
    Blog - Australian Tarantulas: http://ecopathsim.blogspot.com/

Comment

hi charles. i didn't know t's groomed themselves to that extent. she has'nt eaten for a couple of months so prehaps she just feeled the need to have a groom. thanks for getting back to me on this much appreciated thankyou.

Comment

I have seen my scorpions do both a general groom and what I can only describe as a 'deep clean'

The general grooming consists of basic rubbing of legs to get rid of tiny bits of substrate etc. But I have also (for the first time a couple of weeks ago actually) seen a proper deep clean. where they either get water from the water bowl or, what i presume, is secrete it from their mouthparts and have what can only be described as an intense scrub! Even using their telson like a loofer!

I would presume both these different 'grooming types' happen with tarantula's as well so some extent... only they dont have the ready made loofer!!!!
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I find them so all so interseting, At least i know what there doing now, but to be honest thats what my wife said they were doing.
          thanks lisa

Comment

Hi Vincent, one of our big female Blondi's dips her abdomen down into her water dish, then uses two of her legs to wash all underneath, and inbetween her spinnerets, and then keeps drawing her front legs through her wide open fangs, really fascinating to watch, she's in a world of her own, grooming.

Comment

Hi Vincent

If you look on the BTS video clips section there has been a video posted of a G.rosea grooming itself.

Chris

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
              Why not make a weekend of it.

Comment

thanks for getting back to me on that linda. you learn and see something new nearely every day it'll be good to watch her next time without worrying thanks again.

Comment

cheers chris i,ll have a look at that. thanks for your reply.

Comment

Working...
                  X