Ivy in a planted viv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivy in a planted viv?

I've just purchased a rather attractive Tesco special for my avic, and would like it to be planted. The base of the tub is about 4"x4" and its about 10" tall. I went to the garden centre and B&Q and the only plant I could find that would fit and be suitable for the avics requirement for high humidity was a little Ivy plant.

Is it alright to house T's with Ivy? I know it can be dangerous to vertebrates...

Originally posted by Gayle E. Anderson View Post
    I've just purchased a rather attractive Tesco special for my avic, and would like it to be planted. The base of the tub is about 4"x4" and its about 10" tall. I went to the garden centre and B&Q and the only plant I could find that would fit and be suitable for the avics requirement for high humidity was a little Ivy plant.

Is it alright to house T's with Ivy? I know it can be dangerous to vertebrates...
    Hello,

Personally I wouldnt use plants with Avics, the majority of Avics have a wet and dry season so the plants would die in the dry season, and Herera = Ivy i dont think you will find in countries where Avics are native. Not only that Hedera is poisonous so if a cricket fed on the ivy then the spider are it, is there a chance on the toxins being passed on? I dont know but wouldnt run the risk.

To much is made about keeping spiders in planted up containers which are supposed to be "natural" and less said about the real "natural" stuff like night time temperature drops and dry wet seasons.

Hope this helps

Ray

Comment

To much is made about keeping spiders in planted up containers which are supposed to be "natural" and less said about the real "natural" stuff like night time temperature drops and dry wet seasons.
      Go on Ray, tell us more. I'd love to read more about Avics, I have a number of species: versicolor, metallica, Peru purple, avicularia, guyanna, minatrix, fasiculata and laeta and only recently I was told of keeping some in a drier enclosure.
      I'm sure many of us would benefit from accurate temps and humidity guides on this wonderful, if rather confused, genus.

Gayle, ivy can be rather a fast grower and will seek the light in a darkened room. You'd be better off with a low light requiring plant, a slow grower that requires little maintenance. Pothos Ivy and Mother-in-Laws tongue are good suggestions but I'd also consider the issues raised by Ray on feeder insects eating these plants. Its worthwhile checking some of the American sites for planted enclosures.

I found it easier to use silk or plastic plants, very low maintenance and evergreen!
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Working...
      X