Pokie enclosures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pokie enclosures

Hi there, it's been a while since I was last on (kids)! First of all it's been a good week for moults I've had Klugi, Smithi and Emilia all moult with no probs and Subfusca and Apophysis look ready to go any time soon. My problem is I have a fair few juve poecilotheria and I'm struggling to find what I would consider a suitable adult enclosure for them. So far my favourite is the exo terra 12x12x18 enclosure but that in my humble opinion is a bit overkill for some of the smaller species. I would like to ask for you're opinions or alternatives on enclosures for adult pokies,thanks.

hi kirk i use 5 litre cereal tubs for my pokies (and some other arborials )

Comment

Originally posted by andy hood View Post
      hi kirk i use 5 litre cereal tubs for my pokies (and some other arborials )
      Cheers bud, what about the clarity? Can you see the spids clearly or has it a slightly frosted affect? I keep them in quite a dark room and hope to take some good pics of them wihout disturbing them too much. Therefore I lean more towards the unnecessarily expensive glass, clear acrylic or perspex enclosures.

Comment

Hi Kirk

I keep a lot of my Arboreals in large glass and plastic sweet jars that i get free from a local newsagent.

Chris

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
        Why not make a weekend of it.

Comment

we get those sweet jars from the local shop. because it costs them to dispose of them they happily give them away.

We drill holes in the lid, around the top of the jar and near the bottom above substrate level for good ventilation.

recycled, perfectly see through, cheap and effective
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

These are the cereal tubs i use kirk, from morrisons, they are a bit opaque and not that crystal clear but they do me just fine

Comment

Cheers for the replies, the cereal tubs look a good size height wise and are slim so I could fit more on my shelving and they would be a nice money saver. The sweet tubs would be ideal for pictures and I could eat my way through them! so I will be looking in to both, Cheers.

Comment

Well I have had eggsacs from all the Pokie, most of the Psalmopoeus, and a laod of Avic sp using converted cerial containers so can recomend them to the full.

One thing I would like to point out is that i have seen a few pics of cerial contains with laods of ventilation holes either drilled or melted with a soldering iron all over the container and would like to point out that although this may be a cheap and easy way to do ventialte the containers if you read my article on converting these containers, I used a piece of fine metal gauze in the lid for ventilation. the main reason for this is to STOP PHORID FLIES FREELY ENTERING THE CONTAINER RISKING THE SPIDER TO POSSIBLE NEMATODE INFECTION, and it makes me cringe when i see these contaners.

Now untill you have had a large collection descimated by nematodes (I lost around a third of my collection including 3 female P. smithi), then you wont understand the precations I have taken (please dont think that as i have only a small collection it wont affect me...........it can) it was not just to make the tops nicer because i did not have a drill or soldering iron.

If my article is avaliable on the website then please folow the instructions for converting these, they were adapted for more reasons than just to save money....OH and with the ventialtion only at the top of the container the humidity lasts longer and is easier to control.

Cheers

Ray
                Last edited by Ray Gabriel; 08-07-09, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I understand what you are saying fully Ray but wht does a phorid fly look like?
                  sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
                    I understand what you are saying fully Ray but wht does a phorid fly look like?
                    Good question. I only really drill the lids on my containers and have a mesh material underneath so that should stop any unwanted visitors. Where do these phorid flies come from?

Comment

Working...
                    X