Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmation please

Hi all

I have been sent a photo of a spider taken in Mote park Maidstone, they have asked me to identify it.

I think it is Steatoda grossa one of the Tangle web spiders.

Bedfore i send her my identification i would like some confirmation that i am correct, because S.grossa is usually only found in Cellars, outbuildings, holes in trees and caves and never found out in the open, so a little bit of doubt has crept in.

Chris

Click image for larger version

Name:	5495_130536171048_683651048_3314265_4962793_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	95690

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
    Why not make a weekend of it.

I stuck with S.grossa
    Last edited by Phil Rea; 09-07-09, 12:55 PM. Reason: Invalid attachment removed

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20

Comment

Hi Chris,
      It's definitely not Steatoda grossa.

It's a Meta species (of which we have two British species - one rare, the other common), almost certainly Meta menardi - the cave spider.
      Cheers,
      Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard

Well theres a turn up, a spider even less likely to be seen in the open than Steatoda

I didn't consider Meta because they were Orb Weavers. Menardi builds its web in dark places, is it rare for them to be found in the open and on the ground ?

It hab probally had its web disturbed.

Chris

Comment

Yes, very unusual to see them out in the open, but like you say, maybe disturbed from its hiding place. They're often found under manhole covers.
          Richard

Comment

that's an amazing spider, have to keep an eye out for one of these!
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Richard

Could there not be a british spider gallery, my photo and Ryan Simons wonderful photo's of Segestria florentina are examples of photo's members could send in and once identified could be put in the gallery. With 644 species in 33 Familys there is a wealth of spiders in britain and it would be nice to see them in glorious aracnocolour.

Chris

Ps just me being a bit thick when it comes to technology, how do i download one of those full screen photo's, my downloads are always pokey little photo's that need to be double clicked to enlarge.

Comment

Working...
              X