new addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new addition

hi everyone hope your all keeping well and happy. well i've really thrown myself in the deep end as im getting a brazilian white knee on sunday it's an adult female and she's huge. i saw her last week in our local exotic pet shop and she looks stunning. i suppose i've probably run before i can walk with this spider as i've done my homework on these t's and it seems you do have to have a lot of respect for these guys. is there any info that might come in handy from anyone on these t's as i want everything to go as smooth as possible and i want to do my very best for her as i do with the rest of the gang. i know they have a tendency to flick hairs more readily than smithi's and that you just have to be very careful in everything you do from feeding to changing the water. i have a large peice of perspex that i can use to keep her in one corner while i do anything in her tank better to be safe than sorry. if there is anything else i need to know any help would be much appreciated thanks everyone .

I am keeping a close eye on your thread, Vincent, as I have got one as well, though she is only a sling, but eating like a horse and hence she will be big in no time

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

hi ralf maybe we can both learn something here. thanks for your reply mate hope all goes well for you.

Comment

Never owned one myself but you've both hit on the one thing I do know about them, they eat rather ravenously!

Comment

cheers craig hopefully i'll get some more info. thanks for your help mate.

Comment

As with any T exercise caution when doing maintenance etc place things in the enclosure which make it easy to access ie waterbowl as near to the front etc so disturbing the T as little as possible as even the most docile labelled T can be unpredictable and get aggressive, then again you find some aggressive labelled T's can be complete pussycats but if you exercise caution then it will be a walk in the park
            Tongs can be handy aswell for removing bolas and of course cleaning the enclosure if they poop up the side of the tank using tongs and a cotton wool ball
            Last edited by lynn mawdesley; 26-07-09, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Vincent, nice to hear you've got a new addition to your family lol. I think you'll like the A. Geniculata, they're robust and good eaters. Here's a pic of one of ours. They love Dubia roaches by the way.
              Last edited by Mrs Linda Street; 31-01-10, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I have one of these too, my favourite spider to be honest, though mine isn't aggresive towards me and rarely kicks hairs, however she can be very quick if startled and i'm sure would just carry on eating and eating and eating and eating and eating and eating and eating............................................ .................................................. ......................

Comment

thanks for that lynn and dont you worry i will be very on the ball with this girl. i have been in her tank to refresh her water and to get a cricket that wasn,t eaten. she seemed ok but like you pointed out i wouldn't take anything for granted and always expect the unexpected. thank's again.

Comment

hi linda i've never heard of that t you have but it looks very impresive. are they aggresive.

Comment

Originally posted by vincent winyard View Post
                      hi linda i've never heard of that t you have but it looks very impresive. are they aggresive.

Hi Vincent

Acanthoscurria geniculata is the scientific name for the Brazilian white knee, and the fact you did not recognise Lindas picture means your T is not a White knee, pet shops often mislabel Ts.

it might be a Nhandu coloratovillosum, that is sometimes incorrectly called a brazilian white knee.
                      Post a photo so someone can Id it for you

regards Chris
                      Last edited by chris carter; 28-07-09, 07:04 PM. Reason: rubbish grammar

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
                      Why not make a weekend of it.

Comment

Hi Vincent, that's why I put the picture of one of our A. Geniculatas, because that's what yours should look like, as Chris kindly pointed out. It would be a good idea if you pop a picture on, because that's one of the downfalls of buying from pet shops - incorrectly named T's, as they rarely use the scientific name, so looking forward to seeing her

Comment

hi linda i replyed to you yesterday and didn't have a clue what the name was you put down for your t. i just enlarged your picture and had a real close look at mine and there exactly the same im just not good with the scientific names to t's. i would send you a picture but we seem to have problems getting photo's on to the computer. thanks again for your help linda i just hope she's pretty laid back.

Comment

hi chris.i can see what you mean about how alike the brazilian white knee and the other t you mentioned are. i just enlarged the photo of linda's brazilian and compared it to mine and they are identical. i also looked up the t your talking about to see what they look like and the brazilian to double check and it's definitely a brazilian. i would send you a photo but like i said to linda were having problems getting photo's on to our pc but as soon as i can i'll send you some photo's. thanks for your help chris and for bringing that info to my attention. i'll send the pics as soon as possible thanks again.

Comment

hi linda i did reply to you yesterday but i dont know where the messge went so i'll try again. i was only saying that i managed to confirm that the t i've got is a brazilian white knee. i enlarged your photo and compared it to my spider and it's exactly the same i just didn't recognise the name you put down for yours. im not to cleaver with the scientific names as you've probably guessed thanks for your help again linda.

Comment

Working...
                              X