No announcement yet.

newbie with a question! how unusual...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie with a question! how unusual...

Greetings all!
    I'm James, and brand new to the keeping of tarantulas. I've just got my first G.rosea and it's wonderful! I'ts (I'm hoping it's female, but I can't tell) feeding and drinking fine, but will not use the shelter! If anyone can offer any suggestions I would be extremely grateful.
    Thanks

Hi james, welcome to the hobby..im sure you will find it as addictive as the rest of us haha. To answer your question though, dont worry about the T not using its hide, my G.Rosea doesnt use its hide that much during the day and she is healthy etc. Dont worry it will eventually either use the hide or construct its own burrow.
    Tarantulas kept:
    0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

Many thanks Mark. Addicted already...

Comment

lmao you will end up with 50+ tarantula's in no time.

Our rosea very rarely uses her hide!

Just a bit of other advice, they can go off their food for absolutely ages! This is normal behaviour. Ours went off food for months before she finally decided to have a cricket or two before shedding! So long as the temps are right and it has access to water they are fine

When they are adults (well female adults) they can easily go 2 years between sheds. 6-9 months before shedding their abdomens can look REALLY scabby and generally dull in colour as a whole. Again this is normal, when they shed they will be all nice and bright again.

There are a lot of new people who get this tarantula and really worry about it because of all this. So dont worry yourself, patience is the key with with a chile rose They have 2 speeds... slow and cant be bothered lmao!

Enjoy
        Last edited by Lisa Baines; 25-07-09, 10:26 AM.
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Many thanks for the help Lisa.
          I've only had it for a week, but it took it's first few crickets happily enough!
          I'd heard about the "pet rock" aspect of the rosea, and yup, it does mostly just sit there!
          Beautiful to watch though.
          Thanks again.
          James

Comment

I don't think my Rosea has heard that they usually referred to as "pet rocks" as its often active day and night. Ive seen it actively chase crickets down and in one case crushing the cricket against the wall before killing it lol. Must be something in the water haha
            Tarantulas kept:
            0.0.1 Grammostola Rosea RCF, 0.0.1 Aphonopelma Iodius, 0.0.1 Brachypelma Vagans,0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi,0.0.1 Brachypelma Auratum,1.0.1 Haplopelma Lividum, 0.0.1 Haplopelma Albostriatum, 0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum, 1.0.100+ Pterinochilus Murinus, 1.0.1 Citharischius Crawshayi, 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Irmina, 0.0.1 Eurathlus sp. "Montane", 0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia, 0.0.1 Avicularia Metallica, 1.0.0 Poecilitheria Regalis, 0.0.2 Poecilitheria Formosa, 0.0.1 Ceratogyrus Darlingi,0.0.3 Lasidora Parahybana 1.0.0 Hetroscodra Maculata, 0.0.1 Lampropelma Violacepes 0.0.1 Tapinauchenius subcaeruleus 0.0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 1.0.0 Psalmopeus Pulcher 0.0.1 Theraphosa Apophysis 0.0.1 Psalmopeus Cambridgei 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria Geniculata 1.0.0 Epheobopus Uatuman

Comment

I have to say that when I dropped the crickets in my rosea went after them like a shot!
              We must be on the same water supply lol

Comment

Hi James

Welcome to the hobby and I hope you enjoy your T. My first T was my G rosea. My Rosie is great fun even though they're referred to as "pet rocks". She loves to dig and move the substrate aroung in her hide but she rarely uses it. Sometimes she will rear up at me if I startle her so I alway exercise caution when going into her enclsure. She has been living with me for 18 months and not moulted yet. She also fasted for a few months but I didn't worry because she didn't loose any weight.

Comment

On the back of this I also have a question - my G Concepcion has uprooted her plant pot hide and moved it so that the opening is facing the sides of the tank! I'm in two minds whether to move it back, she has webbed some more on the plant pot since she's done this..

Comment

Hi Jennifer,
                    Thanks for the help. I gather from what you've said and from the others that it's just a question of personality! They'll do what they want to do and best leave 'em to it!
                    thanks again,
                    James

Comment

Hi, I've had my G.Concepcion around a month now and it completely ignored its hide and dug a shallow burrow behind the flower pot, it now sits in the hide in the day and at night either waits at the entrance or sits in the shallow burrow waiting for food. I guess its up to them not us on where they want to hang out

Comment

Hi Stephen. Yeah, I'm getting the idea that each has it's own personality. They'll do what they wanna do! cheers pal.

Comment

Working...
                        X