ID this T for me please :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this T for me please :(

I've had this lady for 10yrs, she has a 4.5" legspan now, and she had about a 4" legspan when I got her.

I was given her as x, I had her ID'd online a couple of years ago by various people as y which seemed to fit.
    Decided to breed her, got a male on loan, posted a pic of her on another forum and a person who owns a y and had the male I have before me has suggested that my girl might not be y after all!

So, an ID would be much appreciated so I know whether I can breed her or if I'll just have to send the MM home!

This is not the best pic but it shows her colour well. She has moulted within the last few weeks, the second pic is a leg that fell from the moult as it shows the colour a bit better (she didn't dull down at all when she was premoult as you can see!)

If any more pictures are needed of any particular areas that is not a problem.

Looks like either an A.seemanni or G.Pulchripes (aureostriata?) but im a complete novice im sure someone else will be able to help alot more. I expect these are the x and y names you got from other people before but thought I would try and help all the same.

Good luck with finding out what she is

Comment

I would rule out A.seemanni

cheers
      Mark

------------------------------------------------------
      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Gayle

Youre Tarantula is a Lasiodorides sp. its not got a common name although i have seen them sold at shows as Andean stripe knee & Peruvian stripe knee.

The best way to check if you are told a Tarantula is a seemani is to check its underside, seemani is completely pink underneath, if its not pink its not seemani.

Chris
        Last edited by chris carter; 30-07-09, 10:13 PM. Reason: i have occasional bursts of illiteracy

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
        Why not make a weekend of it.

Comment

I would say, based on an old male I had that it's a Hommoeomma sp. 'large blue' female

Pic of my now deceased male:

My Collection:

Comment

I would agree with Homoeomma sp. blue, sold quite often as Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Olsinia View Post
              I would agree with Homoeomma sp. blue, sold quite often as Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi.
              Yeap I concur...

------------------------------------------------------
              Serious Ink tattoo studio -
              Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members

Comment

So, Homoeomma sp 'Blue' seems to be the leading answer atm.

I do want to breed her, so I really want to find out what she is for certain.

She was given to me as 'Pamphobeteus sp II' along with one other female and a mature male labelled 'Pamphobeteus sp 1'.
                I knew they weren't Pamphos but I wasn't fussed.

She was ID'd online (on another forum) a few years ago as Thrixopelma Pruriens.

These are the pics she was ID'd from:

freshly moulted in 2007:

She wasn't ID'd from this but this is her freshly moulted in 2008

Comment

Well looks to me like one of those Andean black jobbys

Not sure what they really are as i have not seen a dead male yet.

Need to see the dead specimen

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
                    Well looks to me like one of those Andean black jobbys

Not sure what they really are as i have not seen a dead male yet.

Need to see the dead specimen

Ray
                    Its a she and she is alive and well.

Is it possible to positively ID from a moult?
                    If so, any resident experts fancy giving it a bash?
                    Last edited by Gayle E. Anderson; 01-08-09, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Hi Gayle

i still believe She is Lasiodorides sp , because i owned one for 9 years until she died last year, until 5 years ago they were sold as Pamphobeteus sp which would tie in with it being sold to you as a Pamphobeteus, the brown version was sold as Pamphobeteus wallacei, it was then decided to reclassify them as Lasiodorides sp and Lasiodorides striatus respectively and as Ray says they are known as Andean stripe knees.

The difference between Lasiodorides and the similar Homoeomma is that L stripes join at the bottom to make a distinct dagger shape whereas the H stripes are parralel and do not join atall, which can be clearly seen in the photo's.

Homoeomma is also a less robust Tarantula than Lasiodorides.

If you look on page 49 of J M Verdez & Frederic Cleton excellent book Mygales you will see your Tarantula in her full glory because they are beautiful spiders.

Chris
                      Last edited by chris carter; 02-08-09, 05:31 PM. Reason: cos i took a little flak onboard

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20

Comment

Hi Chris,

Just curious, do you know how to distinguish the Lasiodorides genus from all the other theraphosid genera? How do you know the spider you've kept for 9 years was indeed a Lasiodorides species?
                        Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
                        "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
                        "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltan Mihaly Lestyan View Post
                          Hi Chris,

Just curious, do you know how to distinguish the Lasiodorides genus from all the other theraphosid genera? How do you know the spider you've kept for 9 years was indeed a Lasiodorides species?
                          Hi Zoltan

I have absolutely no idea how to distinguish the genuses, i bought it from a welsh dealer (i think his surname was Roberts) at the 1999 BTS show as a mature female under the name Pamphoebeteus sps. Ray gabrial then confirmed the id for me when he did a talk for the club about 6 years ago, so when the Genus was renamed Lasiodorides, mine was as well. She was also identical to all the Photo's in books of Lasiodorides species.

I expect there are hundreds of Tarantula's out there living happy in thier vivs marked up with the wrong name, we have to rely on the integrity and knowledge of the person selling it.

How does someone know if the Brachypelma annitha they own is not a Brachypelma smithi, or the Davus pentalorus is not a cyclosternum fasciatus you have to rely on the information you recieved when you purchased it or send skins and dead specimens to a Taxonomist.

Chris

Comment

Sorry Chris but I dont see how you can possibly give a definite ID from a photo.

There is difference in the leg striping between the Homoeomma and the Lasiodorides. From looking at pics alone you can see that the striping on the Lasiodorides carries on down the tarsus and metatarsus so there is considerable difference in that alone between the Genera.

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Ross View Post
                              Sorry Chris but I dont see how you can possibly give a definite ID from a photo.

There is difference in the leg striping between the Homoeomma and the Lasiodorides. From looking at pics alone you can see that the striping on the Lasiodorides carries on down the tarsus and metatarsus so there is considerable difference in that alone between the Genera.
                              Hi Elaine

There is a distinct difference of the striping. most on the forum could id a brachypelma emilia or a Poecilotheria regalis from a photo because they are unmistakeable, i am certain i have given a correct ID because i have had years of owning this species and the photo in Mygales confirms it in my opinion, but it is only my opinion and i may be wrong.

Gayle has asked for an id and several people have kindly tried to help her i believe i have given her a correct ID.
                              Gayle must now decide on what she has read what species she owns, she may decide i am talking rubbish ( it has been known) she may decide it is homoeomma, she may decide she still does not know what it is, but that is what the forum is about helping eachother.

Regards Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X