Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider facts

Hi all

Thought i,d lighten the mood with some spider facts from one of our Club Magazines.

Spider facts

Not all spiders have eight eyes, some have six eyes, some four, some two and some have no eyes at all.

A spider’s web is packed with healthy nutrients. Before a spider spins a new web it makes a nutritious meal out of the
    old one.

The word Arachnid is derived from Greek mythology. Arachne was a mortal girl who beat the goddess Athena at a weaving contest, so Athena turned her into a spider.

Many young spiderlings travel long distances to find a home attached to piece of silk blown on the wind. This is called ballooning they have been known to reach heights of 1,525 metres and travel hundreds of miles.

Until 200 years ago doctors believed that a diet of crushed spiders was a cure for the common cold.

In New Guinea the giant wood spider spins a web 2m wide and 3mm thick, they are so strong that the local tribesmen use them as fishing nets.

Every night the Orb web spider spins a bouncy web that contains enough silk to make a pair of tights. The web is light enough to blow in the wind but extremely strong. It must be strong enough to support the spider, which is 4000 times heavier than the web.

For a given thickness, spider silk is stronger than steel.

Black widow venom is ten times more potent than Rattle snake venom.

Tropical spider webs may contain 100 metres of silk.

In 1936, a policeman on Lambeth Bridge in London held up traffic in order to let a large spider cross the road.

King Robert the bruce of scotland, following defeat by the English in 1396, saw a spider trying to swing from one beam to the next. After six attempts the spider succeeded, thus inspiring Robert to defeat the English at Bannockburn.

The earliest known representation of a spider is a drawing on a cave wall by a prehistoric artist in Gasuffa Gorge/ Castellom in Spain.

After the violent eruption of Krakatoa in August 1883, the first scientist to set foot on the shattered island in may 1884, reported no animal life apart from a small spider which was spinning a web.

In 1919 at Prairie Tableland, Queensland Australia, a Tarantula (selencosima sp) was seen dragging a Chicken over 50ft (16m) to its Burrow.

Jumping spiders can jump directly upward as much as much as 6 inches (16cm), they also hold the altitude record as a pair were found 22000ft (7000m) on mount Everest in 1920.

My wife thinks i need to get a life

Chris
    Last edited by chris carter; 01-08-09, 09:43 PM.

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20
    Why not make a weekend of it.

shirley may have a point chris lol
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by matthew spooner View Post
      shirley may have a point chris lol
      You still on for rare breeds weekend, are you allowed to drive the car ?

Shirley has a point, its the point of her thumb stuck on the top of my head but such is life mate.

South East Arachnid Show (SEAS) Sunday 31-1-16 Ashford international Hotel jct 9 M20

Comment

not gonna be drivin, am gonna try and get in contact with alan to see if i can ponse a lift
        THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Does that mean Rita wont be coming ?

Comment

i dunno what she sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by chris carter View Post
              Every night the Orb web spider spins a bouncy web that contains enough silk to make a pair of tights. The web is light enough to blow in the wind but extremely strong. It must be strong enough to support the spider, which is 4000 times heavier than the web.

i think that could be marketed...a new line of spider-silk stockings, what do you think, ladies?
              In 1919 at Prairie Tableland, Queensland Australia, a Tarantula (selencosima sp) was seen dragging a Chicken over 50ft (16m) to its Burrow.
              fantastic, i do love Selenocosminae!!! imagine a spider you can feed a chicken too! and lacks urticating hairs, unlike that smelly Pampho species
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Working...
              X