Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Molting Question

Hi all

My B Emilia stopped accepting her food about 2 weeks ago and the bald spot on her abdomen started turning black about a week ago. With the moult imminent should I be offering her any crickets at all? I'm keeping her bowl topped up with fresh water and might give one side a light mist to help things along.

Thanks

No i wouldn't worry they can go a long time without food so i would leave it untill she moults but just keep doing what your doing and keep humidity up and she should be fine. i love those T's they are pretty

Comment

Thanks - yeah they are gorgeous, when I got her she was literally glowing!

Comment

awww mine was only bought last weekend and its only an inch or so.
        really fell for them when i saw the tarantula guys on you tube when he lost her was really sad but she was gorgeous

Comment

Yes - poor Mel, I saw that too That's spooky, that's how I came to getting mine too, fell for the colours!

Comment

Awww yeah i thought she was lovely, i think the vid helped convince me to get one she just looked sweet

Comment

I love the colouring too, out of all my brachy's my emilia is the most docile and placid, I bought mine at a show at york racecourse (or was it doncaster dome) a few years ago. They just get better with size....

Craig
              41 of the following species
              A. geniculata, A. seemani, A. versicolor, B. albopilosum, B. annitha, B. auratum, B. boehmei, B. ruhnai, B. schroederi, B. smithi, B. vagans, C. cyaneopubescens, C. fasciatum, Cyriopagopus sp "Singapore blue", E. campestratus, G. aureostriata/pulcheripes, G. formosa, G. rosea, G. rosea (rcf), N. coloratovillosus, P. irminia, P. rufilata, P. metallica, Pseudhapalopus sp "blue"

Comment

Have you got any pics??

Comment

How big and what sex is your metallica???
                  i have a fair sized collection but quite jelous

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly A Murray View Post
                    How big and what sex is your metallica???
                    i have a fair sized collection but quite jelous
                    I have 2 metallica's one is coming up to a moult (about 7cm leg span at the mo) and the other one has just moulted into the same size

am attaching a pic of 1 metallica and a pic of my emilia too ( i hope they work) The emilia was taken about 1 hour after a moult

Craig
                    Last edited by Craig White; 14-08-09, 10:45 PM. Reason: changed image
                    A. geniculata, A. seemani, A. versicolor, B. albopilosum, B. annitha, B. auratum, B. boehmei, B. ruhnai, B. schroederi, B. smithi, B. vagans, C. cyaneopubescens, C. fasciatum, Cyriopagopus sp "Singapore blue", E. campestratus, G. aureostriata/pulcheripes, G. formosa, G. rosea, G. rosea (rcf), N. coloratovillosus, P. irminia, P. rufilata, P. metallica, Pseudhapalopus sp "blue"

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Moore View Post
                      Hi all

My B Emilia stopped accepting her food about 2 weeks ago and the bald spot on her abdomen started turning black about a week ago. With the moult imminent should I be offering her any crickets at all? I'm keeping her bowl topped up with fresh water and might give one side a light mist to help things along.

Thanks
                      Hi Craig,

We are pretty sure our emilia is coming up for a molt too, he is not eating and has hardly moved in the last couple of weeks. We won't be offering him any more crickets for the time being and will see how he goes. I'm also not sure whether to mist or not. Hydrometer is at 65 so we haven't as yet...good luck with yours, We'd like to know how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Axford View Post
                        Hi Craig,

We are pretty sure our emilia is coming up for a molt too, he is not eating and has hardly moved in the last couple of weeks. We won't be offering him any more crickets for the time being and will see how he goes. I'm also not sure whether to mist or not. Hydrometer is at 65 so we haven't as yet...good luck with yours, We'd like to know how it goes

I keep my water dish topped up and overflow it a little (its a small dish). I never mist as this species likes it dry. Mine has flourished to date by doing all this and seems really happpy and in perfect health.

As for offering food, he/she may have been full/not in the mood, so offer 1 cricket on a weekly basis and remove the cricket after 24h hours if its still alive. How big is your emilia? if its small a moult should be imminent, Mine goes about 2-3 months from refusing food to shedding her skin, but she is around 5inch legspan.

Hope this helps...

Craig

Comment

yes, i do the same with my water dish, although he never seems to drink. I've guided him towards the dish to make sure he knows where it is but it always seems full to the brim. I don't usually mist as i know emilias like it dry but i heard to increase humidity when a molt is due.

He is about 3 inches legspan so still on the smaller side. I think we might follow your advice and offer 1 cricket a week and see what happens.

Comment

Mine goes about 2-3 months from refusing food to shedding her skin,
                            That's a long time, I'd say mine has a leg span of around 3.5 to 4 inches. I put 1 cricket in there today, from experience would you say that once they stop eating that they don't really help themselves to the odd snack when offered?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Moore View Post
                              That's a long time, I'd say mine has a leg span of around 3.5 to 4 inches. I put 1 cricket in there today, from experience would you say that once they stop eating that they don't really help themselves to the odd snack when offered?

In my experience i have found they will eat when hungry(unless coming up to a moult), I have a g rosea who moulted into a MM 2 years ago... He wont eat for months and then he'll pig out for a month, then go months without feeding again.

In the wild they dont get food as often as they do in captivity, so on occasion they may be full and not want anything else to eat.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X