Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T supply in London

Hi guys,
    I have been in the hobby in America for a while (on Arachnoboard and Arachnophiles) but had to sell all my T's cuz I have to move to England to work. Now I'm in London and desperate to do something about my T-less life.

My first problem is to find T supplies e.g. substrate, tank, deco, etc. So if any of you know where I can buy them cheap in London, please let me know. I am completely new to the area and my paycheck isn't enough to spend on expensive Terrariums. I need the following:
    1. Substrate
    2. Tank/container. Doesn't have to be tanks. If you know where to find large clear plastic containers, it will work fine.
    3. Glue gun, drill, acrylic/plastic sheets etc. Basically the cage-building necessities.
    4. Deco/hide, etc.
    5. Of course, food! Is it legal to keep roaches as feeders in the UK? If so, where can I get them? Prefer B. dubia to crickets but just in case, where can I buy crickets?

I live on the East side (E13) btw so if you know a place nearby, it will be even better but it's not necessary. I probably can take the tube around. Any help is appreciated.
    In addition, if you know some norms about keeping T's in the UK that foreigners may not know about, please let me know as well.
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Last edited by Tung Nguyen; 19-08-09, 08:48 PM.
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/testdasi

Hi bud welcome to uk

Hi buddie & welcome to good old blighty(england) a good place would be http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/index.php or any from the classifieds links @ top of page....... & members sell on here as well..
    0.0.1 Aphonopelma Abberans 1cm sling
    0.0.2 Citharischius Crawshayi 2inch+ juv
    0.0.3 Lasiodora parahybana 2+cm slings
    0.0.1 emperor scorpion 5cm ish

Comment

Hi Tung

I live in London but I prefer to get my Ts and small equipment delivered from The Spider Shop or classified ads on forums.

I found a great little reptile shop in South Woodford (E1 http://www.reptileranch.org/index.html. I've bought equipment and livefood from there. The staff were really friendly.

The others I have used are Joannes Pets and Reptiles in Wood Green (N22), Kings in Camden and Crystal Palace Reptiles.

Jenni

Comment

welcome to London mate!!!

North London too, eh Jennifer? I've been to Joannes Pets and Reptiles a few times, not a bad shop!

I tend to get tanks and stuff from friends getting rid of theirs or at shows (though that's a nightmare to get home on the train), but you can generally get pet pals rather cheap.
        i haven't been in North London long so don't know any others besides what Jennifer mentioned, but down in the South East where i used to live (the blessed realm!!!) i used to frequent Charlton Reptiles (just in Charlton Village, a great little shop, nice people) and Supreme Animal Foods on Lewisham High Street, just round the corner from Ladywell Station. that shop had some ok prices on things, like pet pals etc.
        for live food, if you can accept weekday deliveries, alot of people go with livefood.co.uk, or you can go with the spidershop as well.
        http://www.cornishcrispa.co.uk/index.php does some pretty decent stuff as well
        if you can make it to shows (recommended, especially the Kempton Park Racecourse show put on by the Amateur Entomological Society in October (http://www.amentsoc.org/events/listings/0224/) which is the closest BIG show to London, just a quick journey by train from Waterloo, and of course if you can hold off til May next year, there's the BTS show in Wolverhampton. there are also smaller shows in between in varying places.

hope some of those suggestions help!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

We live in Palmers Green, not far from Wood Green

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I checked out the shop near Lewisham today but unfortunately it close before 6pm. Gotta get use to stores closing at 5pm-6pm over here. I'm amazed how much money they were not making by not opening till late.

Comment

i'm afraid that's usual Tung! i've not found any pet shops open past 6...i tend to go on weekends as a result...
              Joanne's reptiles is open til i think 5 on Saturday and Sundays (her day off is Monday, it's closed then), Supreme Animal Foods i think used to open normally on Saturday and Sunday...and King's is til 5 or 6 Saturday and 2 on Sunday. that's just the best my memory can do at the moment though.

that isn't that far at all Jennifer, i'm down in Archway, about 20 minutes by bus and walking to Woodgreen. small world! more of us in London than i thought
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

sorry mate should also say, for plastic storage tubs (which i use quite alot myself), just keep your eye open for pound shops! they are everywhere and quite cheap.
                as for substrate/decor...what about garden centres and shops?
                you can buy chemical free compost in some places, worth checking!
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Thanks a lot. there's a pound shop about 3-4 minute walk from my place.
                  What about forum? Is there any other forum beside BTS? Like in America, beside ATS, there's also Arachnoboard.

Comment

You're not too far from me. I currently have P. cambridgei, P. murinus and P. rufilata slings for sale and I can provide tubs for you to keep them if you pick up.
                    I've recently had a little clear out so I've probably got some spare tubs too. I'm based near Romford but a district line train to Hornchurch shouldn't take more than 20 mins to get to me.
                    The £1 shops are always great for cheap tubs, so too is Wilkinsons and some of the big supermarkets eg. ASDA, TESCO and Sainsbury. Coir can be anything from £1.50 - £5 a block, but its cheaper to buy in bulk or try the compost from gardening shops eg. B&Q (I believe there's one at Becton which is a short drive from you). You can also purchase bamboo tubes from there.
                    Its fine to breed your own locusts, crickets, roaches etc in the UK and some forums and online shops will offer starter colonies.
                    There's a list of various forums on the front page of the forum, at the bottom. T-store, Arachnophiles and RFUK are the popular choices.
                    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

hello tung

hey mate,
                      im from east london aswell, nice to know people sharing the same interest, i got loads of places where i get my supplies...if need any help just give a message anytime mate....laters guys...

Comment

seems there is a growing legion of us londoners! we should all get down the pub one of these days
                        good to meet you Claytus!
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

dubia cockraches

http://www.roachshop.co.uk/ I've used this place before and had reliable service. The best way I found was buy 50 adults and leave them in a box for a while to establish themselves, soon gave me a good steady supply of mixed sizes. **try feeding males only for a while**

Comment

We should indeed go out for a drink.

@Iain: thanks a lot. That store is from London as well. So pretty much will get next day delivery.

This may be a little off topic, but do you guys know where I can buy hot glue gun and hot glue sticks? They are essential in securing decos and reduce accident probability.

Comment

Glad you mentioned good old Wilkinsons Peter, ya beat me to it. We (I work in my local Wilko) have many tubs in various sizes suitable to keep spiders in, also, on the pet section we have large pet pals for fish (don't keep fish in them please) at £4.99 each.

Glue guns and sticks are again at Wilko Tung, in card making section of stationery.
                              Last edited by mary walters; 27-08-09, 08:07 AM.
                              spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Working...
                              X