Dyskinetic Syndrome in MM P.rufilata?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyskinetic Syndrome in MM P.rufilata?

ok my MM P.rufilata a couple of days ago seemed to be very sluggish, and was just sitting on the substrate, by last night he was still on the substrate on his belly legs scrunched up, not under like a death curl, but to the side, stretching them out randomly and very shaky, moving them in quick jerky movements. He was not responding to any touch and made no effort to get away from the tweezers. Ive put him in ICU and no change this morning, still shaking his legs, is there any chance that this is Dyskinetic Syndrome, and if so is there realistically anything that can be done for him, I'm sure that I have read that if they survive until another moult this can help them ( I might be wrong there?) but as hes now mature, hes not going to have another.

thanks all

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

It does sound like DS. However, unless I see a vid, I can't say for sure. It may just be an MM at the end of his life.
    If it is indeed DS, I'm afraid your T has a very low chance of surviving.
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/testdasi

Comment

Hi Tung, thanks for the reply, unfortunatly I dont have any way to get a video of him online at the moment, however to answer your other point, he only matured a couple of weeks ago, so I would think thats its not just a case of him coming to the end of his natural life, its just unfortunate that he probably wont get to fulfill his ambitions to find a special lady for quiet nights in

Comment

Have you had him long? how are you keeping him? hopefully not too warm and not too moist. An ICU seems a good idea in a darkened area, provide a moist piece of kitchen towel in a warm environment, but avoid too much heat as these are a montane species.
        My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hi Peter,

I've had him probably about a year now, when he matured a few weeks ago, that was his second moult in my care and he has been fine and active up until now. For his ICU, he is as you say, on kitchen roll (moistened lightly at one end only), kept at pretty much 80 heat wise, which is a bit higher than his norm, and kept dark. his normal tank has plenty climbing / hiding space, coir substrate, nothing out of the usual, the only thing that has changed is that I receintly switched from crickets to dubia roaches, he did eat one of these prior to his final moult, but everything else thats eaten them have been fine. I did note this morning that he has had a poo through the night and hes got himself turned round, but still very shaky

Comment

I'd suggest replacing the kitchen towel every couple of days, especially if its soiled, you don't want a bacterial issue too.
            Feeding him roaches should provide a better diet than crickets so I'd personally continue with that and stay away from locusts.
            Have you noticed any phorid flies or worms in and around the substrate? and if so how are your other enclosures?
            There seems to be very little information on Dyskinetic Syndrome, I've not read of a cause or cure.
            If its any consolation I've just restored the health of a G. pulchra that looked as if its time had come, using an ICU and providing moist tissue and leaving it undisturbed. Hopefully your male will be pull through too.
            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

No theres no sign of anything growing or living inside the tank, or any of the others, do regular checks an they are fine

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                Have you had him long? how are you keeping him? hopefully not too warm and not too moist. An ICU seems a good idea in a darkened area, provide a moist piece of kitchen towel in a warm environment, but avoid too much heat as these are a montane species.
                It seems to me that suggesting not to keep the spider warm and moist in general, and then placing it in an ICU that is warm and moist is counter productive. An ICU is useful for a dehydrated spider, but if the spider has a fungal or bacterial problem, then a warm humid environment will likely accelerate it.

If it is what is understood to be DS (and as far as I'm aware no scientific study has been made, so nobody conclusively knows what the cause is, and it's just a convenient name for something we don't understand) then unfortunately placing it in an an ICU won't make any difference.

I'd consider humanely euthanising the spider (particularly as it's a mature male), If it's showing no sign of improvement after a few days, and maybe trying to find out if it would be of any use to anyone maybe researching this sort of problem in spiders.

Not a pleasant prospect I'm afraid, but unfortunately sometimes necessary.

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                X