Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B albopilosum looks smaller after molt :-(

Hi

I got her in June 2007 and she molted in August 2007. All good since then until she molted again a couple of weeks ago since when I've been waiting for this BIG and dark lovely to come out of her burrow. Well, yesterday she did and i was in for a disappointment on the size front. Her span is about the same at 5 inches but her abdomen looks to be smaller than it was previously.

Should i assume this is her full grown size now?

Aside of size she looked really good

No worries there mate. Their abdomens are usually a little smaller after a moult but she'll soon fill out when she starts eating again.
    www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Are you sure the spider's female Paul? Mature males are often leggier and more slender than females.

My Collection:

Comment

Gonna go with Phil on this, if you can retrieve the moult you could sex from that (if you're not familiar with the practice you can ask on here how its done)
        If it's matured then he'll have hook-like spurs (tibial apophyses) under his front legs and his pedipalps will look different and have small (often shiney) "bulbs" at the end
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

pic

That could be a good shout. I've not had a look before but here is a pic of the molt - I hope it is clear enough. From reading up on Google I think it is female but I'll take it on advice.

Thanks
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Moulton View Post
            That could be a good shout. I've not had a look before but here is a pic of the molt - I hope it is clear enough. From reading up on Google I think it is female but I'll take it on advice.

Thanks
            Paul
            You need to take a pic of the lower inside of the abdomen, showing the four booklungs.
            "I am never wrong! Only ever in a position to learn something new!"

Comment

Thanks Iain. Rather embarassingly I realise now that was a picture of the eyes . My only excuse is that it was late when I was doing it!!

The abdomen was destroyed in the molt but having had a good look this morning there are no hooks on the legs so I am fairly sure it's a she. I need to get some crickets down her and see what happens. Thanks to all for your comments.

Paul

Comment

Damn good macro photo Paul
                this is the bit we need to look at, inside of the abdomen part of the exuvium

this is a female, indicated by the spermatecae within the red ring.
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                X