A quick question about top soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question about top soil

If you're going to sterilise some top soil to set up a new tank, how long do you put it in the microwave for? I've searched the previous forum threads and have found answers from 30 seconds to 10 minutes.

Help - I really don't want to blow my mocrowave up!!!

I used to microwave for 20 mins, then again I blew my microwave up:$!
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

In a microwave, just make sure the compost is slightly moist (I think they need a trace of water to be present to work well, or at least I think someone told me that once).

As for times, I can't remember - it's a while since I had a microwave - but take it out after 30 seconds, stir it up with a spoon and if it's steamy hot throughout it's done. If not, repeat until it is. That's what I've done before and it didn't blow the microwave up!

Comment

you can also bake it for a bit, though of course you run the risk of burning it...
        or you can douse it with boiling water, but of course that means drying it out as well, which can take a while...
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I always use irish peat and nuke it in the oven for half an hour and i've never had any probs.
          If these words he speaks are true,we're all humanary stew, if we dont pledge allegiance to
          the black widow.nahnahnahnahnah nah nah

Comment

I've just rehomed three T's and I bake the soil/peat mix on 200 deg C for about an hour with no stirring! or until golden brown LOL
            "I am never wrong! Only ever in a position to learn something new!"

Comment

Working...
            X