Help with A.Versicolor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with A.Versicolor

Hi guys, I'm new to the hobby and have bought 5 A.Versicolors slings (2cm) about 6 weeks ago. All is well, their feeding well and webbing up their enclosures as normal.

My main concern is heating. I am maintaining a temp ranging from 73 - 79 using a heat mat attached to the side of the tank which houses the 5 rearing jars. I have been assured that this is sufficient, but what about humidity? I don't understand how I can maintain humidity without placing the heat mat underneath the tank which I've been told not to do. I'm using a deep substrate mix of vermiculite and coco fibre. (about 4 cm)

Can anyone help? Many thanks, Jamie.
    My Collection:

Nice additions

Giving the tubs a light spray 2-3 times a week will help keep humidity up. None of my spiders, including Avics, have any heat at night and the drop in nightime temperature gives the humidity a nice boost when the heat is on during the day.

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Hi Elaine, thanks for the reply. Yes I do spray the jars regularly. Is there much harm that can be done from placing the heat mat underneath as long as the temps don't get into the 80's for a few hours during the day?
      My Collection:

Comment

There is really no need to place a heatsource underneath as 1) heat rises -hence no escape from heat for the T 2) if they want to cool themselves down a touch then having a heat source at the side/back is ideal for them to do that

Take Elaines advice , she knows her stuff about Avics

Comment

Elaine, just as curiosity do you turn the heat source off at night even during the winter? (This will be my first winter since owning my T's)

Comment

Thats great, thanks guys
            My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Moore View Post
              Elaine, just as curiosity do you turn the heat source off at night even during the winter? (This will be my first winter since owning my T's)
              Good question! I've never been sure whether to do that with our L Para. Last winter it was dropping to 18oC sometimes and that was WITH a heat pad at one end of the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Moore View Post
                Yes I do. During the winter the temps drop at night to around 18 degrees, sometimes a bit colder and all my spiders are thriving. Although most T's come from hot climates they still have drops in night time temps in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Ross View Post
                  Yes I do. During the winter the temps drop at night to around 18 degrees, sometimes a bit colder and all my spiders are thriving. Although most T's come from hot climates they still have drops in night time temps in the wild.
                  Hi Elaine, I turned the heat mat off for the night last night as you suggested before I went to bed around 10.30pm. I have moved my collection into a slightly warmer place in the house. I woke up about 6.00am and checked on them and the temps were 20 degrees. Is this OK to do even when my slings are going to moult any day? I get the temps right up during the day. Thanks, Jamie.
                  My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Cooper View Post
                    Hi Elaine, I turned the heat mat off for the night last night as you suggested before I went to bed around 10.30pm. I have moved my collection into a slightly warmer place in the house. I woke up about 6.00am and checked on them and the temps were 20 degrees. Is this OK to do even when my slings are going to moult any day? I get the temps right up during the day. Thanks, Jamie.
                    That sounds ideal to me Jamie Premoult slings will do fine with the drop in temps and should moult without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Ross View Post
                      That sounds ideal to me Jamie Premoult slings will do fine with the drop in temps and should moult without problems.
                      Hi Elaine, thats great. Seeing as its going to keep on getting colder with winter on its way, what would you say is the lowest temp they can comfortably handle?

I put the heat on in the mornings at around 8.00am and it gradually rises to 26/27 degrees at about midday and remains at that temp until I turn the heat off before I go to bed. Does this sound like a good system to you? If not, what would you recommend as a heating guide?

Many thanks, Jamie
                      My Collection:

Comment

Hi Jamie.
                        Combined reply from Elaine and myself whilst i'm logged in (i do as i'm told )

Generally 15/16 degrees is the absolute lowest we'd let it drop to here for a couple of hours at night, not saying they couldn't take a further drop but i think a drastic range between high and low temps would possibly cause issues in the long run.
                        In the wild avics lodge in trees (however high they are) and at night the temp drops within the canopy by a fair few degrees, if the canopy is disturbed by nocturnal primates etc the this last amount of warmish air is lost and the areas temp drops dramatically, spiders can obviousely take this sort of drop so it shouldn't be that much of a concern.

The heating scenario you have at the mo is quite good enough as it is in our opinion
                        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the info. Wow, you seem to know your stuff! I've been looking everywhere for a book specifically about Avics but I don't think any such thing exists! Many thanks again for your help, Jamie.
                          My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                          X