T's eye sight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T's eye sight.

Something has been bugging me along time.
    Why if T's eye sight is supposted to be pretty poor .Then how come the male manages to ,on making a sperm web..so accuratly and quickly gather up all those tiny sperm droplets from his web.???

Another thought.I thought might be worth sharing .I've not long recieved an Adult Female P chordatus ,she was covered in big mites.While she was still in her delivery tub I turned it about picking off as mainy as possible from all over her.Put Her in nice dry surrounddings to deal with the mite problem .Couple of days went back to her to pick off any I'd missed .She was a bit jumpy .But after a few seconds seemed to suss what I was up to and she manuvered arround stretching legs out and dropped her bum down .A stance that said to me Yes please pick these bu.... off me.Now when I open the tub up she comes out and shows me any that she wants removed.Anyone else had that. : Vicki

Theres something else I've seen that I've been wondering about too.Do males scent mark?...As I've seen a few times now males stretching and straining to excrete about three drops of a clear liquid from (as I would discribe )their arm pits.Could someone please tell me what they are doing.?

Re: T's eye sight.

Originally posted by Brainstorm
    Something has been bugging me along time.
    Why if T's eye sight is supposted to be pretty poor .Then how come the male manages to ,on making a sperm web..so accuratly and quickly gather up all those tiny sperm droplets from his web.???

Another thought.I thought might be worth sharing .I've not long recieved an Adult Female P chordatus ,she was covered in big mites.While she was still in her delivery tub I turned it about picking off as mainy as possible from all over her.Put Her in nice dry surrounddings to deal with the mite problem .Couple of days went back to her to pick off any I'd missed .She was a bit jumpy .But after a few seconds seemed to suss what I was up to and she manuvered arround stretching legs out and dropped her bum down .A stance that said to me Yes please pick these bu.... off me.Now when I open the tub up she comes out and shows me any that she wants removed.Anyone else had that. : Vicki

Theres something else I've seen that I've been wondering about too.Do males scent mark?...As I've seen a few times now males stretching and straining to excrete about three drops of a clear liquid from (as I would discribe )their arm pits.Could someone please tell me what they are doing.?
    spiders do not sent stuff if there is liquid droping for the spider leg joints then it is injured and is bleeding. Despite then having poor eye sight they can still see just not very well. some say all theys ee is the basic of colours an dblue blurry shapes. Your spider spreding herself out on the substrate is what they doo when there panicking as well as rearing up but it can make getting mites of them easier. A little tip get a paint bursh and dip it in some vasalene or patrolium jemmy and dab it onto the mite this will suficate them and she will shed them on ehr next moult this has allways worked for me.

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

respond to reply

I've been keeping T's for three years now I have 60 different species of T's in all several hundred T's.I know the difference between a bleedding T and one that is in panic ,discomfort or threatening.What I have been witnessing is something very different.Though your respondding is appriciated.
      I'm not entirely convinced that T's eye sight is as poor as it is made out to be.Just as we proccess cartoon pictures in sequence in persistance of vision ,surely from what they take in they are able to proccess this and build a picture of whats arround them .How else would a P.murinus in a pot I was holdding be aware of a fly coming into land on my arm ,run out its pot grab the fly out off the air and run back in its pot.This particular P.murinus has done this on three occations.There were no guidding webbing and the fly was over a foot away . Also way would a L.parahabana get the hump when he carn't see whats going on .I have to clean the glass on his tank other wise he gets right grumpy.I know it sounds stupid .but he comes up to the glass and leans forward and he watches what I'm doing,and where I am in the room.He's done all the three years I've had him so I know its not just a coincidence.Or my imajination.
      The males I've seen this excretting with were C. crawshayi ,B.albopilosum and one other I think it was Lasiodoria Difficilis.Know for definate there was no injury, also they all excreted from the same point.
      The P.chordatus Female I should say also about what she does is that the same way we might when having our back scratch ,say a bit lower ,left a bit and stretch and make that portion of our back offered for a scratch,this is what she's doing,As she rubs her fangs about to dislodge mites then turns her head ,pushes up with her legs to show where the mite is on that side of her face.This bits sounds mad but when I've finished doing her upper surface she rubs herself all over having a good grooming session as they do.Hardly the behaviour of a T thats in panic.

Comment

How's about this one

Another interestting observation.
        My Adult Female C.marshallyi you know the one I mean.I put a mite trap.Black filmpot smeared with vaseline dead crickets in the bottom .bearly had it been in two minutes ,she got hold of the pot turned it upside down turnning it about to make the dead crickets drop out and proceeded to eat them .She's done that many times .Dispite being well fed.I've had others do that too.Having to put on a good lid with holes to stop them getting the dead cricket.Rotton mites!
        If she carn't see togood and the scent thing is ify how she know so quickly.
        I for one think we need to rethink just what these beasties are capable of!!!!!!!
        Vicki

Comment

Ive always thought they had a good vision for seen things close by but not long range! Why else would they have 8 eyes? they cant be all useless.

Comment

grab the fly out off the air and run back in its pot.This particular P.murinus has done this on three occations.There were no guidding webbing and the fly was over a foot away
            Ok.... I'm no T expert by far. But I have read that air currents are responsible for this apparent accuracy. The hair on T's are sensitive to changes in these air current which enables the T quite accurately detect their location.
            R u still down? Remember me....

Comment

lol we all know that and trust i aint no T expert either! but why god gave these creatures 8 eyes which are completely useless I dont know...

Comment

I don't think their eyes are completely useless, just not as good as some people may think
                R u still down? Remember me....

Comment

Just to add several years ago my female G.Rosea escaped from her tank and got into my male G.Rosea's tank and ate him. The thing is the tanks were 4 or 5 feet apart and i had other T's tanks closer but she managed to pick out his tank no problem and i still cant work out how she managed to lift the lid on his tank.

Also in the summer i catch moths for my chevron as she loves them and ive seen her hanging from her back legs from a heat bulb (not on of cource) and she is very acurate at catching them in mid air .... so i dont belive the poor eye site bit atol .... anyway how the hell do you test a T for its eye site ....ask it to put it's left four leg's over its left four eye's and read the top line of the chart lol

Comment

T's eyesight

My Selinocosmia Flogelli was in a bad mood because we wanted to clean the tank out, anyway the blooming thing stood on her back legs as they do. She had been standing for about 10 mins when I moved my hand about 18ins above the tank, she spun round on her back legs to try to get at me. She has also jumped at the top of the tank when I have gone to feed her before now, she's a nasty peice of work, lovely spider though.
                    I have always said they have better eyesight than we think, how else do they stalk crickets in a mess of web and moss?
                    spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

There are many tipes of eyes in the world and the tipe that spiders have is a very simple one. A simple pigmental eye. Their eyesight is poor, no doubt about that (they don't function exactly the way our eyes do). Zoophysiological test are not that dificult, so understanding this tipes of eyes in it's basic function is not that hard. Your experiences with tarantulas are very interesting, but can mostly be easily explained with other senses, that are better developed, such as the sense touch/air-movement.

Matjaz

Comment

Working...
                      X