No announcement yet.

T blondi red markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm one of the believers in a moist environment, obviously not swampy but certainly not dry. Afterall, these come from one of the wettest inhabitable environments in the world. In a dry enclosure I believe its harder to raise the humidity but perhaps this also isn't necessary. Its something I've queried quite a few times when seeing other peoples blondi's in dry conditions and I've noted that all of those kept dry are much darker. I'm not sure if that's a sign of maturity or the moist environment but in my case I've not seen what some suggest - that the T. blondi become darker (or lighter) as they come up for a moult. In a bid to test the theory are switched her over to dry substrate over the last few months. She's moulted and appears dark, perhaps its coincidence or perhaps its that she's finally mature.
    What's obvious is the resilience of this wonderful huge tarantula.

Watch out for the urticating hairs on these, they are probably the worst of all Ts, I should know I'm itching like mad since giving her a good spray on Sunday!
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

I think you're more or less right Peter, but our's are always lighter before the moult, and the difference after moulting is stunning. Two of our Juveniles, which recently moulted, as shown in the 'two sister's thread' are very dark, almost black, with red hairs, these have been kept on dry substrate, water dish, and a spray twice a week, since 3rd instar, and they're doing really well.

Comment

to illustrate the difference, here's a couple of pics of the same Blondi, before her moult, and then after. Interestingly prior to her moult, she had been kept in a damper environment, but after the moult she has been in a much drier enviornment, and she is definitely a happier T.
        Last edited by Mrs Linda Street; 07-02-10, 07:19 PM.

Comment

t blondi healing?

hi guys, had to lay low for a while nearly lost whole collection but thats another story. I have managed to get some pics of my t blondi that had the problem and the abdomen has gone oddly shaped, she still has not fed in 2 months

Comment

tried to attach pics just it wouldn't work grr

Comment

Working...
            X