pokie advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pokie advice needed

Just got back from holidays and checked the 6 fasciata commune out and just saw this.......looks like the male (who is twice the size of the rest) is threatening the female.
    Have seen the red hooks on his pedipalps but he looks too small (about 5" LS) to be mature.My other male in the other tank is almost twice his size.
    What do you think,is it time for him to leave or what?
    Paul
    ps....been down this road before with the other commune but at least there,the male and female are still at it

If he has his emboli he's ready to go out to breed, assuming you don't have an AF. His patterning on the legs has gone to which suggests MM.
    I doubt he'd attack the females, his objective now is to mate with them.
    No harm leaving him in there until you find a female, no harm in removing him either. However Ray has suggested females will concurrently moult to reach maturity if they sense a MM. I think the difference in size and the fact they've lived together suggests no issues but you should put him up for mating.
    NB: You're not allowed to put P. fasciata up for sale within the BTS forums so you should consult the admins if that's your intention.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

No intention mate.....if I were,it would be for 50/50 breeding anyway and so far,until I knew the situation,my intention was to do nothing at all until I had advice,which I now do,thank you as always Peter.
      What is the reason behind not selling fasciata Peter,out of interest ?
      As I have said though,none of my pokies are up for sale.....not yet anyway.In fact, I sent a MM OBT out on breeding loan last week.

Paul
      Last edited by Guest; 28-09-09, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Am I the only one on this site.......I ask a Q and get no answer.
        Why are Fasciata not allowed in the classified on BTS when they are on every other forum ?
        I am not selling by the way,I am just curious.
        Paul

Comment

Here you go Paul

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

That's an interesting read , though I must admit that I skimmed a few of the bigger paragraphs .

And as far as I can see it's not P.fasciata that's banned but 'South Indian' P.fasciata which appears to be a fake(?) synonym of the P.hanu........

Comment

I still don't really understand why the ban on fasciatas.......just because they look like their rarer brothers ?
              Here is mine.....tubbed him a few minutes later ready to box up for postage tomorrow.
              Was not easy,it was like he knew so was waiting for me on the exo door
              Paul

Comment

update.
                Did anyone notice that was a female?
                I tubbed the wrong pokie and had to tub the big male...not much fun and not easy with 4 other pokies on the loose.....lol
                here ....what I saw....he is in the top right behind webbing
                And after I caught it......
                anyway...she is back now
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul fleming View Post
                  I still don't really understand why the ban on fasciatas.......just because they look like their rarer brothers ?
                  As far as i'm aware there is no ban on P. fasciata on this site. However there is a ban on hanumavilasumica and to get around this some people may label them as P. fasciata South Indian form which is why it says in the classifieds "Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica and South Indian P, fasciata are currently not allow to be traded here."
                  Put your arms around me
                  Fiddly digits, itchy britches
                  I love you all

Comment

Originally posted by craig mcinnes View Post
                    As far as i'm aware there is no ban on P. fasciata on this site. However there is a ban on hanumavilasumica and to get around this some people may label them as P. fasciata South Indian form which is why it says in the classifieds "Poecilotheria hanumavilasumica and South Indian P, fasciata are currently not allow to be traded here."
                    I was told in an earlier post that I could not advertise my fasciatas for sale.
                    It is clear that they are fasciatas as well.....I have had them since slings off Jamie on here.......I am a bit miffed actually.
                    Surely this needs clearing up.
                    Seems strange banning a species because it could get confused with something else........very strange.
                    Paul

Comment

Has an admin or committee member told you this?
                      Put your arms around me
                      I love you all

Comment

No but I don't want to get banned.
                        Read the 2nd post of the thread....
                        Peter has always gave me good advice and I trust him.

NB: You're not allowed to put P. fasciata up for sale within the BTS forums so you should consult the admins if that's your intention.
                        Paul

Comment

I think Peter has missunderstood the warning. P. fasciata are well established in the hobby already so it would make no sense to ban the trade of them on the forum. If you read through the link provided earlier you will see that the only species that the BTS wants to ban is the hanumavilasumica because of the whole sanctuary thing. P. fasciata southern Indian form would be just another name to get around this ban. I'm sure once any admin or committee members see this they will clear it up for you.
                          Put your arms around me
                          I love you all

Comment

Originally posted by craig mcinnes View Post
                            I think Peter has missunderstood the warning. P. fasciata are well established in the hobby already so it would make no sense to ban the trade of them on the forum. If you read through the link provided earlier you will see that the only species that the BTS wants to ban is the hanumavilasumica because of the whole sanctuary thing. P. fasciata southern Indian form would be just another name to get around this ban. I'm sure once any admin or committee members see this they will clear it up for you.
                            hope so because this affects everyone and it is a tad confusing......war and peace would have been easier to read than that thread
                            Paul

Comment

Ok, so lets start with your group. The male is mature. If he stresses out the females they might predate, though this is unlikely from what I gather about fasciata. P. hanumavilasumica lives in S. India wheras P. fasciata comes from N. Sri Lanka. We don't know if P. hanumavilasumica is a variant of fasciata, an independant species or P. fasciata itself which has migrated. At least thats my understanding of it. All the best and keep an eye on the colony, they should be ok.
                              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                              X