spider ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spider ID

Just rehousing a few of the T's into bigger enclosures and thought I would take a pic of this T.Had it from sling and this is the first time I have seen it in months.
    Just put it in one of the wilkinson specials,nice and cheap....lol
    Was bought as a straight horned (marshalli).
    A very nice T
    paul

Last edited by Guest; 30-09-09, 03:15 PM.

Hi Paul, a couple of nice pics there, we've got the straight horned, which I think is the Darlingi, (don't hold us to it) but we thought the Marshali has the curved horn. On our T it's straight and stubby.

Comment

i'm no taxonomist but it appears to be what it was sold to you as, ceratogyrus marshalli.

i'm not massively familier with this species but the only other of the horned baboons it closely resembles is C.Darlingi though yours has more of an orange flecked petterning which most closely resembles Marshalli as aposed to darlingi's tawny brown overall colour.

wayne
      Wayne.

Comment

hi linda,

darlingi's common names include: curved horn baboon, rhino horn baboon and african horned baboon indicating the curved horn.

marshalli has the stubbier straiter horn.

wayne.
        Wayne.

Comment

Hi Wayne, our's is certainly stubby and straight, but this is where it gets difficult, our's is a tawny brown colour not orangy!!

I can't tell too well from Paul's pic, but it looks like a mature male.

Comment

i generally dont like using colouring as a guide to identifying a spider but in some cases it can give a clue, a mature male marshalli would have a more plain colouring as would a spider thats due a molt i'd still go by the shape of the horn which indicates marshalli.

it looks to me from the pics that it may still be a juvanile/ sub adult, i would take a chance on saying that it wasn't a MM as the last segment of the palps still have the pads of setae instead of emboli but i'm no expert lol.

wayne
            Wayne.

Comment

I had it as a sling about 3 or 4 months ago so is definately not mature.
              I am not sure how long these do take to mature but I know some baboons take years.
              Now it is still small.....1 to 2 inch body lengh so I think it still has a bit of growing to do
              paul

Comment

It looks like a sub-adult female Ceratogyrus marshalli to me (check the underside of the abdomen; if it has a pale band over and between all four booklungs, then that would be it).

Common names for tarantulas are meaningless and confusing. For years people called Ceratogyrus darlingi the "East African horned baboon" - even though the species doesn't even occur in East Africa!!

There's a paper in the downloads section which illustrates the differences.

Hope that helps. Cheers,
                Richard

Comment

Thanks for that Richard, we'll look that up. You are cetainly right about using common names, that makes it even more confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gallon View Post
                    It looks like a sub-adult female Ceratogyrus marshalli to me (check the underside of the abdomen; if it has a pale band over and between all four booklungs, then that would be it).

Common names for tarantulas are meaningless and confusing. For years people called Ceratogyrus darlingi the "East African horned baboon" - even though the species doesn't even occur in East Africa!!

There's a paper in the downloads section which illustrates the differences.

Hope that helps. Cheers,
                    Richard
                    Thank you Richard,
                    Always nice to get a reply from our Tarantula god
                    How big do these get when fully grown because if this is sub adult,it will probably be the smallest baboon I have seen ?
                    Thanks again
                    Paul

Comment

i agree richard, i generally dont like using common names and it my biggest bug bare when people sell spiders by the comon name, i used darlingi's common names just to highlight the implication of the shape of the horn on the carapace.

wayne
                      Wayne.

Comment

I know I used it's common name of straight horned baboon but in my defence,I also called it Marshalli......
                        It is almost as nice as my stout leg baboon (Eucratoscelus pachypus)
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-10-09, 02:32 AM.

Comment

its a lovely looking spider mate. hope you get some pictures of it up when its mature.

i woke up this morning to find my C. Crawshayi juvanile freshly molted. it was about 2.5cm L/S, now about 3. loads of growing still to do and a couple of years to reach maturity.
                          Wayne.

Comment

Hi Wayne, great T's the C. Crawshayi, one of our females moulted a couple of weeks back, she's 5 yrs or so old, and they always stay looking good with them not flicking hairs.

Comment

hi linda, this is its first molt in my care and its still a little translucent but the colour of the hairs shows up nicely, i caught sight if it befor going to work this morning wandering around testing its hydrolics lol. i must say i do have a thing for the old worlds and this is such a beautiful spider.

i
                              Wayne.

Comment

Working...
                              X