Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirt from the Avicularia avicularia

HI,
    I own a coupple of avicularia and I noticed from time to time a few small white egg-like grains stuck to the glass of the enclouser.
    Thinking those to be eggs or fetus of the roches I feed it, I kept cleaning it.
    The other day, I noticed the Avicularia raising it's abdomen and squirting this substance on the glass some 40 c"m away.
    Now the spider is quite small - only about 5-6 c"m leg span, so I don't thing the egg-like grains are sperm-sacks, but I could be mistaking.
    Has anybody else observed such a thing and can enlighted me as to what it is the avicularia is trying to tell me?

Thanks.

HI
    No just normal avic doo doo's... they all do this! to keep there home clean I guess.
    Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

thanks a lot Mark.

I wasn't aware that tarantulas do that... I always figuried that since T's digest externaly, there would be no leftovers to extract.
      You learn somthing new everyday!!

Yinnon.

Comment

While we are on this subject, can any one referance me to an artical about T's physiological and antomical systems?

Thanks,
        Yinnon.

Comment

Dunlop, J. A., Altringham, J. D. & Mill, P. J. 1992. Coupling between the heart and sucking stomach during ingestion in a tarantula. Journal of experimental biology. (166): 83-93.

There are loads more out there! Try Google for "Tarantula & Physiology".

Comment

Avicularia defence

Not only that, they can squirt faeces for quite a distance as a defence mechanism. It is amazing to observe...but not too closely you understand.
            I take it you know they are excellent swimmers, jumpers and runners too?

Comment

I had no Idea that they swim!!
              do you have any Idea how they prevent water entering their trachea?

Comment

SWIMMING AVICULARIA

Originally posted by hike34
                Good question, well presented. They must have some sort of closing mechanism but this question is thrown open to all. Mr Gallon...any comments?

Comment

Re: Avicularia defence

Originally posted by C S Portman
                  Not only that, they can squirt faeces for quite a distance as a defence mechanism. It is amazing to observe...but not too closely you understand.
                  I take it you know they are excellent swimmers, jumpers and runners too?
                  I descovered that the hard way and got a face full

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by hike34
                    Ok heres the smart arse answer!
                    Tarantulas donĀ“t have trachea to let water into!

Maybe its the hairs around the abdomen that trap air and form a kind of air pocket that prevents the water from getting in the book lungs.

Comment

as far as smart answers, that one is a keeper.
                      Though it is still worth investigating.

Comment

So they wont drown in water bowls then?

Comment

Me too!

My Avic, Pixie (My wifes decition) comes out of her web, sticks her bum in the air and launches her daily load accross the tank. She sticks her bum up like that and aims it at you if shes desterbed too, ready to fire one off i presume.
                          Also to again show they like a tidy web, she hangs the chewed cricket remains from a strand of web outside the entrance. Lovely!

Comment

As for the raising of the abdomen when the Avic is nerves, this could be related to the fact the the Avic family has urticating hairs that cant be flicked.
                            Insted they press their abdomin to the threat and thus protect themselves.
                            But I have had the same experiance with being "shot at" (though he missed). So I guess we have observed another protection machenisim the speices has.

And now for somthing (somewhat) diffrent:
                            What exacily is the diffrance between book-lungs and trachea?

thanks,
                            Yinnon.

Comment

I found a nice website explining some of the issues:

This page shows pictures and information about the physiology, anatomy and behaviour of the spider

It's worth a read.

Comment

Working...
                              X