Size enclosure for adult Cyriopagopus schioedtei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size enclosure for adult Cyriopagopus schioedtei

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the right size enclosure for Cyriopagopus schioedtei. I've looked on web and found nothing in respect to enclosure size, and would that size then be suitable for all the Asian arboreals?

hi stephen,

are you asking out of interest or do have/ plan on getting this spider?

cyriopagopus schioedtei are a large arboreal species that require a fair amount of space. floor space is as impotant as hight with this species. personally i would go for a 30x30x45cm d/w/h tank no smaller, exo-terra do some that are ideal for this. you will need about 4-5inches of substrata (pete/vermiculite mix is best) kept moist but not too damp as they need a fairly humid environment, you will also need to provide some form of hide, a large piece of cork bark stood vertically in the tank should be sufficient and some decoration in the tank never goes amiss especially with a fantastic display species like this one. temperature should be around 27 degrees during the day with a drop of 4 degrees at night.

hope this has helped.

wayne
    Wayne.

Comment

As above. I've kept them in smaller enclosures and have a mature male one in an IKEA clear cereal tub. Fairly hardy and make great tubed webs which are heavily disguised with substrate, moss and other loose furnishings.
      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hi Wayne and Peter, yes I was thinking about it, as the spidershop has slings at the moment but I expect they wont last long. I figured starting with a sling would be the best road to go down with this species. I'll have a look at the exo terra tanks, just thought a well planned out arboreal tank would be a lovely display and what a spider too. Those Asian spiders are beautiful, and getting a sling gives me plenty of time to learn more and plan an arboreal set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
          I've kept them in smaller enclosures and have a mature male one in an IKEA clear cereal tub.

once again Sweden shine through and prove IKEA have something for everyone................. even the Arachnophile!
          Wayne.

Comment

As Peter has said, ye olde 5L cereal container works a treat for most arboreals, I have bred C schioedtei in these.

Ray

Comment

Hello Ray, so with the 5ltr cereal tubs do you use water bowls with them? My line of thought is tank maintenance and wouldnt it get a bit hairy changing water bowls? I've just bought two spiderlings from spidershop and have been getting their new homes ready I'm a bit confused at what to feed them though, would the micro crickets be ok? or the odd maggot? Spiderlings are 2 -3cm in size!
              Best regards
              Steve

Comment

Stephen, I'd suggest you don't start with the large cereal tubs. Perhaps a soup tub, coffee jar, or my favourite at the moment (coz I like the seeds):

For an adult you'll want a nice large plant saucer which will aid in humidity, but if you don't like the idea of this make sure you have plenty of sphaghnum moss and pour water directly onto this, its like a sponge for holding water.
                In the cereal tubs your best bet is to use a piece of upright bark to section the thinner part off. The majority of time arboreals will run away from any disturbance - into this area. Simply use a handful of kitchen towel to seal it in and you can do all the maintenance you want.
                I suggest you find yourself some tropical woodlice and springtails to aid in cleaning your enclosure, but apart from the occassional bolus or uneaten food there shouldnt be too much need for cleaning.
                My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hi Peter, Thanks for the advice can I use woodlice from the garden? I know I need to get some in my existing tanks also. I've got two 500g plastic tubs set up for the slings, about 3cm of coir and moss with some silk plants and theres plenty of hides in there for them to set up shop. With winter on the way and the heating being on I guess cereal tubs are the way forward instead of thermostats and heat mats everywhere, it's always a headache working out which is more costly for a small collection, use the house heating or individual tank heating as they are all set up on a steel shelving unit at present in my bedroom. Those tigers are stunning creatures, I hope one of them at least turns out female

Comment

I keep many of my arboreals in cereal tubs.

I put substrate in the bottom and drill a number of holes . This allows me to spray the tank and ensures the humidty does not go to high. Bear in mind though you will need to put the tub on a seed tray or something to catch any water spillage. You wouldnt want to ruin your shelf system. There is an article in one of the old BTS Journals. (Cant remeber which). I am sure someone will tell me.
                    Ray
                    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                    On
                    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Thanks Ray, I could pop the tubs once drilled onto plant pot trays to catch the excess water.
                      Steve

Comment

if you have abit of spare money to spend i would look up house of spiders they do some nice enclosures for big aboreal t's

Comment

I saw those, they are nice tanks and I know where I have room for a couple of custom made tanks when I have the dosh. I've got two little spiderlings so I'm a way off yet, they have been munching on micro crickets today, so hopefully they have settled in ok.

Comment

did you get them from lee at the spider shop iam still debaiting on one of them and also looking at the Lampropelma nigerrimum as i like the look of all the asian aboreals

Comment

Yes Gary I got it or her from spidershop as a subadult/adult, I went for the Malaysian earth tigers instead of the Lampropelma as at £45 they were too pricey for me, would like to own them but I cant afford it at the moment I'll be concentrating on the ones I already own until things change, then I have my wishlist all sorted I have a soft spot for the asian spiders too.

Comment

Working...
                              X